dgap / AccelePort 8r 920, a suitable Linus installation?

Hello everyone,

An older computer is being prepared to host an AccelePort Xr 920. My plan is to use the latest driver from ftp://ftp1.digi.com/support/beta/linux/dgap/ and Ubuntu 10.04 operating system. The computer will probably end up headless ( no GUI ).

Compiling under Ubuntu gave some errors to be sorted out. I will be starting over with a clean install.

1. Would a different Linux distribution be better? CentOS ?

2. What are the pros and cons for using the server or workstation installation? It appears that I/O Scheduler and kernel preemption are different on Ubuntu. http://www.serverwatch.com/tutorials/article.php/3715071/Ubuntu-Server--Kernel-Configuration-Considerations.htm

R. Harkins

The latest driver candidate should work fine in Ubuntu. What error are you seeing?

You may want to have a look at the driver installation video for Ubuntue:

http://www.digi.com/learningcenter/video/player.jsp?videoid=realport-installation-ubuntu

I cannot comment on the pros/cons of server vs. workstation as I see no effect either way on the serial driver.

Thanks for the video link.

Being the hired help, I work as directed. The computer is back on the shelf for now. With the computer unplugged, the log files cannot be looked at.

If I recall correctly, a definition seamed to be missing. More specific information will be posted if the problem persists or if others could benefit.

Thank you,
R. Harkins

Here are the errors reported:

dgap-1.3/driver/build/dgap_driver.c:781: error: TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE undeclared (first use in this function)

dgap-1.3/driver/build/dgap_driver.c:998: error: TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE undeclared (first use in this function)

The make process then exited.

I will try and watch the video between other tasks today.
Any developments will be posted.

Thanks,
R. Harkins

The video is for the Real Port Driver, dgrp.
I have been working on compiling the dgap driver.

R. Harkins

The steps are pretty close to the same:

rm /bin/sh

ln -s /bin/bash /bin/sh

script

#rpmbuild --rebuild dgap-1.3-18.src.rpm

#alien -d --scripts /usr/src/rpm/RPMS/(arch)/dgap-1.3-18.(arch).rpm

dpkg -i dgap_1.3_19.(arch).deb

exit

mpi

If errors are seen, post the resulting typescript file, as I will need to see the activity leading up to the errors.

Also, be sure you are using the latest driver candidate:

ftp://ftp1.digi.com/support/beta/linux/dgap/dgap-1.3-18.src.rpm

Thanks for calling it to my attention. Already spotted & downloaded it.

linux-headers-2.6.32-25-generic installed

/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-25-generic/include/linux/sched.h
line 187
#define TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE 1

The header is not being found.

using instructions on
http://www.digi.com/support/kbase/kbaseresultdetl.jsp?id=3123

Trying to attach the log file.

R. Harkins

It appears the headers are not matching your running kernel.

There is an extraversion on the running kernel suggesting the kernel was modified. If so, you will want to be sure the matching kernel-source is installed along with the headers.

It looks like I will have some time to work on this.

What Linux distribution is used in house for working on DGAP ?

R. Harkins

I have Fedora up at the moment. CentOS, will work fine as well, if that is something you are considering.

For those that may find this thread in the future:

Ubuntu 10.04 is where I started and had problems compiling.
CentOS5.5 was tried with similar results.
Crux 2.7 CD was in the stack but I do not recall why I moved on.

Arch Linux 2010.05 was installed. Once again, the latest version was downloaded, dgap-1.3-20. Unpacked the rpm and tgz files. Configure, make, make install, postinstall, and mpi all ran without any visible problems.

R. Harkins