Etherlite in cluster configuration

Hi,
I have a number of etherlite 160s. we are moving to a blade system so will have 4 blades all with access to the same etherlites.

Does anyone know if this is possible. At present we have only one server.

Thanks
Mike

Using Redhat Enterprise 4

Message was edited by: Mike-P

I’m not sure what this statement means:
“so will have 4 blades all with access to the same etherlites”

What is the purpose of these additional servers accessing the Etherlite? Will each server have X amount of ports on the Etherlite hardware, or are you asking can all 4 servers share the same physical serial port simultaneously?

Sorry for confusion. Yes all 4 servers share the same physical serial ports simultaneously. We have about 10 etherlites and each blade will need to access ports on all of them.

Mike

Here is an article which talks about the number of concurrent driver connections per Etherlite:
http://www.digi.com/support/kbase/kbaseresultdetl.jsp?id=526

So, hitting an Etherlite 160 from 4 different servers wouldn’t be a problem. A serial port can only be “opened” by one server at a time however. If you need to share a port concurrently by more than one server (i.e. all 4 servers need to see the data on the serial port at the same time), I’d recommend one of our Portserver TS products, which allow up to 4 simultaneous connections on the physical serial port at the same time, also known as “port sharing”.