Finding libraries to control Neopixel programmable led strips

I have a Digi Xbee3 and I intend to have a network of 1 coordinator and 6 routers who (hopefully) will be able to control led strips based on commands from the coordinator. However, when I downloaded the micropython neopixel library from github and put it unto the Xbees file system, I get an error saying that the xbee does not recognize the bitstream function that the machine module imports in the neopixel code. I checked the machine module’s built in functions on the xbee and could see that it does not contain a bitstream function. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could possibly find a way to control the strips without the need for a intermediary controller?

What kind of interface does the Neopixel LED strips require?

The strips is a programmable RGB LED strip,utilizing SK6812 RGB LEDs. The LED strip supports digital addressing, which means that you can individually control the color and brightness of each individual LED on the LED strip. Single bus programming is supported to expand the LED strip.

What I mean is what kind of BUS or port do these LED’s need to be connected to? Is it a SPI, UART Etc?

These are one wire data protocol led strips. Two pins are for power and ground respectively. The middle pin is the data pin. I have used them with an arduino and all you needed to control the strips is a data output port on the arduino connected to the data pin, as well as some library to control them. There are multiple libraries around for arduino, but I am having trouble finding one that I can use on the xbee.

It seems like you’re encountering a compatibility issue with the MicroPython library and your Digi Xbee3. Since the Xbee3 may not support the bitstream function from the machine module, you might need to find an alternative method to control your LED strips. Here are a few suggestions:

1. Check for MicroPython Updates: Make sure you’re using the latest version of MicroPython for your Xbee3. Sometimes, newer firmware updates include additional functions and compatibility improvements.
  2. Use Compatible Libraries: Look for libraries or functions that are specifically designed for your Xbee3 platform. The availability of libraries can vary depending on the hardware.
  3. Custom Coding: If you have programming skills, you might need to write custom code to control the LED strips directly without relying on the bitstream function. This may involve low-level control of the LED hardware.

Sounds like you should be connecting the line to the Data Out line and not a Digital IO line.

Might be but the wire connections are not the problem, finding software libraries that are compatible with the xbee is the problem.

I spent a few days thinking about whether I should write something or not. I’m an electrical engineer and as my project became more complex I came across the information that Xbee 3.0 in micropython mode did not support the 1-wire library, asyncio library and hardware interrupts (irq). So I had to overcome it alone. How do I see you going through something similar and if you need help finding a new approach. I sympathize and make myself available if you wish to get in touch.

Perhaps I should make note that the DIO lines on the XBee are really not for doing bit banging. They are for setting a Digital IO line as an input or as an output high or low.

Your problem is that the Digi XBee3 doesn’t recognize the bitstream function in the machine module, which is needed for the MicroPython NeoPixel library. Since the machine module in XBee3 doesn’t have bitstream, controlling LED strips directly is tricky. Here’s a suggestion:

1. Use an Intermediary Microcontroller: Connect a microcontroller that supports NeoPixel (like Arduino or ESP32) to your XBee3. The XBee sends commands to this microcontroller, which then controls the LED strips using its compatible NeoPixel library.

This approach bypasses the limitation of the XBee3 by using a device that can handle the NeoPixel library directly.

In a few words, it appears to be a direct, objective, even logical conclusion. However, when I went down this path the level of complexity increased. Think carefully before heading through the gorge.