Help Please: Connect ME Beginner

Please Help:
I have been given a Digi Connect ME device, with a RJ45 connector. It also has header pinouts that enable you to connect to RS232. I have no development kit.

At present I have tried to get documentation that will help me setup this device but have found none. I have tried connecting this device with an ethernet cable to the network, but no lights come on. I really need to be able to connect to this device. Does anyone have beginners advice on how to interface with this device, or perhpas some steps on to get some communications started? Please help…

Has anyone got this device working without a development kit?

If you have, can you help with quickstart guide on how to get this device working.

You need a base board to turn ON Connect ME device.
Make use of dev baord schematics and HRM to turn ON the module
http://www.digi.com/support/productdetail?pid=2466 > Documentation

Thanks for your reply Tuxxy.

I don’t have access to an integration or development kit. I just have two Digi Connect ME.

I have powered the device with a 3.3V power supply, and the yellow and green lights flash when I have connected it to the internet.

I am attempting to talk to the device using telnet, and setup all the device parameters.

The JTAG port, the serial ports and a bunch of other connectors are all on the base board (sometimes referred to as carrier board or a development board. I would suspect that the amount of progress you’d be able to make will be quite limited without same.

BTW are you developing using NET+OS or LINUX?

The JTAG port, the serial ports and a bunch of other connectors are all on the base board (sometimes referred to as carrier board or a development board. I would suspect that the amount of progress you’d be able to make will be quite limited without same.

BTW are you developing using NET+OS or LINUX?

I agree with you dakota, it definitely is taking a longer time understanding things without the development board, but it is achievable.

Making my own custom board, is planned in the future, however for now I have just soldered wires to the connector…very primitive, but does the trick.

My device is a Digi’s plug and play firmware version, therefore I am using neither NET+OS or LINUX.

I have managed to configure the device with its own web interface as well connect to talk to the virtual serial port. I must say that the applications that digi supply on their website are very useful. I have installed the Realport drivers, and two applications. Things that really helped me get going was the device discovery wizard(find the device and its ip if your network is DHCP), web interface(configure the device’s web page and perform various setups) as well as Digi Port Authority(monitor port activity). I’m not sure if there are more applications like this that can expose more functionality on the device, but I would welcome it…:slight_smile: