How to connect XBee Zigbee module to home automation light control remote?

Hi, I have got the XBee3 ZigBee Mesh Kit and a Zigbee light switch like this:

https://smarthomenz.nz/products/zigbee-remote-control-with-wall-mount?gclid=Cj0KCQiAxrbwBRCoARIsABEc9shWBO6d1a3XCTO6n2dZQ1W1JDQko1j1b_HhRUXn6b9n4KMZzj9eGiYaAu30EALw_wcB

Is it possible to set up the XBee to connect to a light switch like this? I would like to build a light controller / driver myself but would like to use an off the shelf light switch / remote.

Thanks!

Try following the steps outlined at https://www.digi.com/support/knowledge-base/zigbee-home-automation

The directions were written for the XBee S2C but should work for the XBee 3 as well. That is presuming that the device is not running on the Zigbee 3.0 protocol.

1 Like

Thanks. I have tried this but it does not seem to work:

• Am I supposed to see the light switch appear in XCTU?
  • sorry I am very new to Zigbee, do you mean the XBee3 does not work with Zigbee 3.0 protocol? So what version of Zigbee device do I need?

Thanks for your help.

No, that is not what I mean. The XBee 3 is a Zigbee 3.0 compliant device. The light most likely is not Zigbee 3.0.

No, it is not going to “appear” in XCTU. XCTU is only a GUI interface and test and configuration software for the Digi XBee products. XCTU has nothing to do with the Home Automation profile.

You will still need to write an application that uses Digi’s API interface to control the remote Home Automation device using what is called ZDO or Zigbee Device Object commands.

Thanks, now I understand. Is there any tool that allow easy viewing on what is in a zigbee network (including non-xbee devices). How do I know if the remote Home automation device is connected to the Xbee successfully?

Also, if the light switch is Zigbee 3.0, would the setting on the Xbee be different?

Thanks a lot for your help!

No, that is something you would have to write or create.

I have not tested a Zigbee 3.0 HA device so I can’t answer that.