Installing rootfilesystem of new project fails

Hello

I am rather new to the DigiEL and am working my way through the manual…

When I try to install the rootfs from my project (like item 7.4 in the manual) I get an error message:

make -k install_rootfs 

MKIMAGE /usr/local/DigiEL-5.2/digiesp/workspace/MyFullProject/images/rootfs-cme9210js-64.jffs2
  MKIMAGE /usr/local/DigiEL-5.2/digiesp/workspace/MyFullProject/images/rootfs-cme9210js.squashfs
  INSTALL /tftpboot/rootfs-cme9210js.squashfs
  INSTALL /tftpboot/rootfs-cme9210js-64.jffs2
rsync: failed to set times on "/exports/nfsroot-cme9210js/.": Operation not permitted (1)
rsync: failed to set times on "/exports/nfsroot-cme9210js/.": Operation not permitted (1)
rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at main.c(977) [sender=2.6.9]
make: *** [rootfs_nfsroot] Fehler 23
make: Das Target »install_rootfs« wurde wegen Fehlern nicht aktualisiert.

The last lines translates to English somewhat like this:
make: *** [rootfs_nfsroot] error 23
make: the target >install_rootfs< was not updated because of errors.

I have DigiESP 5.2 installed on a standard Ubuntu 8.4 and did all the setups as described in “2.2. Configure required daemons and other services”. But since the desired operation did no work once, I suspect there is something wrong with the setup of DigiESP rather than with the software itself. So I posted the problem into this thread.

Does anyone know about the problem?

Thank you very much! Hartmut

[solved] Solution:

In a different forum I got the answer to the problem.

rsync may write files where ever the user invoking it has the right to do so.
BUT: rsync can only change the timestamp of an existing file or directory if the user invoking it OWNS that paricular file or directory. Alas, it was owned by root.

So I had to change the ownership of the directory:

root@machine:/exports# chown USER:USERS_GROUP nfsroot-cme9210js/ -v

and the export works fine.

I post the solution here in case someone else also trips over this… Hartmut