Issues with Xbee series 1 modules

Hi, I am using several series 1 Xbee modules (XB24-AWI). However, two of them doesnt seem to work. For the first one, It once worked but has suddenly become defective. I am unsure of the cause as it has always been connected via a linear voltage regulator board (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11373). It is currently unable to receive or send signals but previously worked fine. When I connected it to my computer and attempt troubleshooting with XCTU, a dialog notified me of action required to reset the XBee. Thus, I used recovery mode in the XCTU software to reset the firmware. However, the problem still persists after resetting the firmware (802.1) to the latest one, and XCTU still detects an issue with the Xbee module and continues to prompt me to reset the module. I have tried resetting it for several times already. Please advise me on this issue.

Fot the second defective Xbee module. When I connect the power supply to the Xbee either via a USB adapter board or a regulator board, both boards appear to fail in their power supply, as indicated by the fading red LED light and the Xbee does not work.

Please advise on how I can address the issues in both Xbees series 1 modules.

For the 2nd radio, your only option is to replace it.

The first requires you to either modify the sparkfun boards to add the DTR, RTS and REST or obtain a board with the VCC, GND, DI, DO, RTS and DTR lines connected. Then try the recovery.

Thank you for your reply. I am currently using this USB adapter board (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11812) to do the recovery.However, isnt the VCC, GND, DI, DO, RTS and DTR lines already connected when I insert the Xbee module into the board?

No, what I am referring to is that these lines needs to be connected from the PC to the module. The Spark Fun board along with Most of the 3rd party or non manufacture boards only connect VCC, GND, Di and DO. The flow control lines are NOT connected thru which are required and stated as such on the very next line in the manual for firmware upgrades. But most vendors only envisioned them ever needing just DI and DO and never considered that customers would use their board for more than that. So they never connected the required lines for programming of the modules.