Loading Without Dynamic C - through a serial port

Hello Digi forum,

I would like to ask if it’s possible to update the running software on a board directly by a serial communication port, for example by using a usb key, and not using a programming cable at all. If it is possible which steps should i follow. Is there any example on the samples directory that i could follow.

Thank you in advance
Best Regards
IK

1 Like

If you are using the one of the Rabbit 6000 based systems you could probably implement something like that via USB as it supports USB host operation and could read an update file from a USB memory stick (maybe check for a special file on power up?).

You would have to look at modifying some of the examples/libraries for Remote Program Update to read a file from the memory stick instead of the network but I don’t see why it can’t be done.

For Rabbit 4000/5000 (and possibly 2000/3000) you could do the same with an SD card if you added the hardware for this to your design.

Regards,
Peter

1 Like

Thanks Peter for your quick response,

Actually i am using a Rabbit 4300 with an integrated sd memory slot. Could you please guide me on how i could use the sd to update the soft. Could you also suggest an example that i could follow.

Best Regards
IK

If you are using the RCM4300 then you are in luck. Have a look at the Samples\RemoteProgramUpdate\bootchk.c example as it seems to be exactly what you need.

Regards,
Peter

Thank you Peter,

It seems to be what i was looking for.

Have a nice day
IK

Is it possible to update firmware remotely on a rcm4120 through serial communication?