MS-Dos Application with DIGI ClassicBoard PCI

Hi,We bought a DIGI ClassicBoard PCI to be use in our existing MS-Dos application software. This software have a proprietary IO address that the PCI(Digi ClassicBoard) card need to be configured in order for them to work correctly.
I already tried to configure the card using windows device manager but there is no luck.
Do you have a software that can force the PCI card to use the desired I/O address and IRQ? Or, can you recommend a procedure that we can use to change the I/O address and irq?

Your help is badly needed.

Roger

Have you find a way to configure the card in DOS? I recently purchase a PCI ClassicBoard and I need to install it over DOS 6.22. Any hints?
Lisa

Dear Roger (?)

I do have the same problem as you have (or hopefully had)

I do have a system under MS-DOS 6.22. It is a PASCAL
oriented system with apuart.asm V2.02 as interface to
the digiboard.
Some time ago, around 2000, we got a programm from digi
called DIGICFG.COM, which supposed to change the IRQ and
adress settings of the Classic PCI board to other values.
However even the Digi diagnostic software for the classic board,UD-PCI.EXE did not work with a changed
interrupt level.
It only worked at level 11.
These investigations were done back in 2000 and as
“there was no pressure on the kettle” the project was
abandoned and we continued with the normal ISA card.

However pressure now comes back!! and the same problems
exist.
Could you please help me?

Regards,

Peter Vergeer

VERGEERP@WXS.NL

This card isn’t supported in DOS, but here’s a couple resources might help you find a solution:

Classicboard DDK manual:
http://ftp1.digi.com/support/documentation/9200282b.pdf

Classicboard Diags/Config utility and release notes:
http://ftp1.digi.com/support/utilities/40002197_b.img
http://ftp1.digi.com/support/utilities/93000396_b.txt

Thanks Michaelt for your quick support!!

However I still have some questions.

When I use the DIGICFG.COM programm and I set for example
the IRQ from (standard) 11 to 5 , your testprogramm
UD-PCI.EXE gives an error -> interrupt does not occur.
When I later on change it back to 11 your diagnostic works OK again.

Is this an error in the DIGICFG.COM programm or in the
PCI card itself?

What about the sources of DIGICFG.COM?
Can I get them?

Regards

Peter

Hello Peter,

You will want to look into the BIOS of your computer to see if the IRQ of the SLOT that the ClassicBoard is in, is assigned as 11. If so you might be able to modify that assignment to use 5. This will depend entirely on the Computer’s capabilities in allowing manually managed resources such as the IRQs assigned to specific slots. (Many computers do not allow this)

As a general rule, sources are not normally available.
However your Regional Sales Manager is the proper one to review your business opportunity for such engineering requests.

-ET

hello -ET

Thanks for your help.
Indeed, when I changed some interrupt settings in my BIOS
also to IRQ 4, the testprogramm UD.PCI also runs with
the interrupt test.
However, when I Run my own program this program does not
get an interrupt!!!
(I am sure the program is OK as it does get the interrupt with a normal COM line.)
I do not know how UD-PCI detects whether there is an interrupt or not. The adres 540 ,the I/O mapped interrupt
status register may be, and not the IRQ4 interrupt?
I have seen that adres 540 sees the interrupt.

Maybe I must set something in the PLX memory mapped configuration registers, at 4CH, the interrupt control/status register?

Often these programs that force you to use specific IRQ and I/O addresses are designed to only use the on-board serial ports. You will need to be sure that these on-board ports are disabled if you wish to use the Digi’s serial ports instead. IRQ 3 and 4 are commonly assigned to the on-board COM1 and COM2.

-ET

Dear-ET

Of course I did disable COM3 and COM4 but still
no interrupt!!
Do you know how UD-PCI detects that there is an interrupt?

Peter

I notice there were no more posts to this particular thread. However, I have the same problem. I have code (in DOS) which worked with the Classic boards circa 2004 and now does not generate an interrupt. UD-PCI.EXE appears to work OK, so their is obviously something that I am not doing to enable interrupts to function. There is nothing in my code to do ythat specifically other than enabling registers. I was using the DIGICFG.COM program to do the enabling. Does this no longer work?

Are you saying that your application worked with a 2004 ClassicBoard PCI but not with the a 2007 ClassicBoard PCI?
Are you using the same PC in both instances?
The ClassicBoards were updated to use RoHS compliant parts last year, so the adapters have changed in subtle ways. You may be correct that the digicfg.com program no longer functions with the newer adapters.
I cannot test it as I no longer have a test system where I can successfully run the utility, even with the older adapter.
The digicfg.com program is provided on “use as is” basis, so if it does not work for you, there is nothing more I can do. The utility will not be updated and there is no going back to the non-RoHS version of the adapter.