Network creation...co-ordinator..router..end device

Hello everyone…
I’m using three xbees2 modules and i want them to work as a co-ordinator,router and end device…I have set them as below…

CO-ORDINATOR

PAN ID : 3FFF
SH :13A200
SL : 40941D9B
DH : 13A200
DL : 40941E98
NI : CO-ORDINATOR
MY :0

ROUTER

SL : 40941E98
DL : 403B0CC7
NI : ROUTER
MY : 1496

END DEVICE

SL : 403B0CC7
DL : 40941E98
NI : END DEVICE
MY : 35

Are these parameters correct?? Do i have to change anything
Also when i try to transmit data from the co-ordinator to the end device…using the terminal of the X-Ctu software…i cannot transmit anything…
Please help me out…
Thank you

hi rumel

The destination addresses (DA) that you are providing are not correct.

In network, coordinator will broadcast, hence its DH will be 0x0000 and DL will be 0xFFFF.

All the Routers and End devices should send data to coordinator, hence in their destination addresses field should have address of coordinator. One easy thing is we can also refer to coordinator wih address 0x0000 in DH and 0x0000 in DL. [:)]

Thanks killer for solving my problem. I’m also facing same problem

Hello Killer
Thank you for your suggestions… …
I worked it out and achieved what i wanted…
I have another query…
Im currently doing a project related to home automation where i want to send data to end devices using Xbee network. The field where this xbee is to placed is large and I’m afraid that the data will not reach to the end device/s which i will send from the co ordinator (which is connected to the hub of the home automation system)…I want to create a mesh network where i want to send data signals from the co-ordinator to the end device/s and back and use a router just to hop the signals from the co-ordinator to the end device/s. Can this be done and if so can u tell me how it is done…
What address to provide to each module??
Also if I have more than 1 routers in the network how will the co-ordinator decide the shortest path to route the data to the end device/s…

eagerly waiting for your reply

Yes, this can be done with zigbee modules as they are capable of creating a mesh network.

For your configuration in Coordinator, give Destination address of End device and vice versa i.e. in End device, give Destination address of Coordinator. It doesn’t matter what you give Destination address in router; if you need it just to hop the signals. If all 3 of them have same PAN ID, then they will form a network automatically.

If you are using 2 routers than its not an issue as well. The network will itself decide the best path to transmit through. The ZigBee protocol within the radios will take care of retries, acknowledgements and data message routing.

Infact, zigBee also has the ability to self-heal the network. So if one of your router is removed for some reason, a new path will be made through the other router to send messages. [;)]

hey Killer32
Thanks alot for your help!!!

Hey Killer32
I have successfully created a network using xbee…

Now further as a part of my project i have make a LED glow…the LED will b connected to 1 xbee and there will be another xbee to which a switch will be connected…when i press the switch the LED will go on the other side…I have to do this without using a micro controller…i have searched alot on trhe the internet but i couldn’t find any way out…

I have to use I\O ports but i cannot understand how will the data pass through the xbee how will the xbee understand that when the switch is pressed the LED has to be turned on

Please help me at the earliest!!!
Thank you

Hi rumel

As per my understanding about Xbee, this thing is not possible just by using two Xbee S2 because the Xbee which has LED connected needs to receive a data packet which tells it to provide power on pin to which LED is connected.

If you don’t want to use MCU then you can do this either by using a gateway between them or by using programmable Xbee by making it coordinator and then after programming it.

If your goal is only to control LED remotely then this could be a solution for you:

Connect your LED between ground (Pin 10) and any DIO pin, lets say Pin 12 which is DIO7. Make a ‘Remote AT Command’ setup between your modules. Now in terminal you can pass these commands from one module to other:

‘ATD74’ : Will make output voltage low to some 0.6 mV

‘ATD75’ : Will make output voltage high to VCC, some 3.25 V

By this way, you can control your LED ON and OFF. Below mentioned link can help you in making remote AT command packet:
http://ftp1.digi.com/support/utilities/digi_apiframes.htm

Thank you for your reply…
I tried switching ON and OFF the using API frames and it works well
i want now to connect the LED and the Switch to 2 separate end devices…and have a co-ordinator which will be connected to a Micro controller…and i want the same functions to happen ie the LED to be On when I press the switch…suppose i use the API frames to send the data, when i press the switch the frames get passed to the co-ordinator the micro controller will process the data and send frames to the end device where the LED is present…will i still need a micro controller at the LED connected end device…

Thank you for your reply…
I tried switching ON and OFF the LED using API frames and it works well
i want now to connect the LED and the Switch to 2 separate end devices…and have a co-ordinator which will be connected to a Micro controller…and i want the same functions to happen ie the LED to be On when I press the switch…suppose i use the API frames to send the data, when i press the switch the frames get passed to the co-ordinator the micro controller will process the data and send frames to the end device where the LED is present…will i still need a micro controller at the LED connected end device???

Also do you have any idea about IC bit masking??? can that of any use while trying to achieve the above task

Sure, setting a mask in IC will cause the Xbee with the switch to ‘automatically’ send you 2 messages - one when the switch is n/pushed, and a second when it is off. You’ll need the Xbee with switch to always be awake, or this won’t work.

Hey lynnl
Thank you for your reply…could you please tell me how should I configure the Xbees to achieve…I have tried various combinations but i haven’t succeeded…could you please help me???

Hey Everyone…
I had forgot to mention that i have a XB24-ZB…can the above be possible will the the zigbee i have…ie switching ON/OFF the LED with a switch at 2 separate end devices???

First issue - if you have sleeping end-devcies, then you need to make sure the NON-sleeping devices have the correct SN/SP or you get the APPEARANCE of the IR/IC not working:
http://www.digi.com/wiki/developer/index.php/XBee_Sleeping_Problems

Other than that, you just need to set the DH/DL correctly. leaving it zero (0/0) causes the message to be sent to the coordinator.

There is no way to have the IR/IC information sent to 2 remotes. You will need a CPU sitting somewhere to catch the message and repeat it.