Network Discovery with XBee Series2 Modules

Hi all,

I’m searching for a way to find ZigBee Networks with a Module that has not joined a Network. For example, I’ve setup a Network with 3 Modules (Router, End Device, Coordinator) and specifi the PAN ID and other parameters that the Nodes can communicate.
Now I would like to search this Network with another Router-Node. I thought this is possible with the “Management Network Discovery Request Cluster ID: 0x0030” which is explained in the APP_NOTE_XBee_ZigBee_Device_Profile
(http://ftp1.digi.com/support/images/APP_NOTE_XBee_ZigBee_Device_Profile.pdf).
I take the X-CTU Frame Generator and send a frame with Source/Destination Endpoint set to 0, Cluster ID set to 0x0030 and Data Payload to 07 FF F8 00 FF 05. Where 07 FF F8 00 (scan all channels)
FF (scan time)
05 (start Index).

If i send this from my new router device a Transmit Status Frame(0x8B) is received with the Delivery Status 22 (not joined to network) and discovery status 00 (no discovery overhead).

But I expect a Frame 0x91 with cluster ID 80 30 and the information which are shown on page 10 of the APP note.

What am I doing wrong?

A Router or End device node that has not associated scans for other networks automatically.

Correct me if I am wrong but you want to be able to see what networks are around without joining is that correct?

Thank you for your reply.
Yes they do the scan automatically, but if I set up my End Device with another PAN ID for example than they do not connect to the network if this has another PAN ID.

“Correct me if I am wrong but you want to be able to see what networks are around without joining is that correct?”

YES, that is absolutly my question :wink: