Port Server TS over VPN

Hi,

We’re using a TS over a NetGear FVS318 VPN router on a RedHat 7.0 network. Are there any special settings to increase performance? Is the MTU important, and should it be set?

The problem may be the DSL line, as leaving a ping running from a remote to the main store’s internal LAN address reveals packet round trip times ranging as high as 4.5-6 seconds.

This problem is happening other places, and I don’t want to blame ADSL services if that isn’t the problem.

We have had instances where a PC going through the VPN was able to access the main location’s LAN just fine, but all terminals on the port server were locked. The only way to clear things up is to kill the login shells on the terminals.

I was wondering if the keep-alive feature on the ports (and perhaps the VPN if it exists) would provide some help.

Any thoughts? I should know more tomorrow. I’m actually going to a location to try to muck things up. At present, it appears that disconnecting the DSL line from the router for a second or so duplicates the behavior. I’m relying on end-user input, though, and am not sure if it’s good data.

I suppose I’m just wondering if anyone has had any experiences with Port Server TS over VPN. I’ve only seen one message in my search of the forum…

Is the RealPort driver being used on the Linux host?

If so, you may want to place a WAN link speed setting for the RealPort daemon that matches the DSL speed. This can be configured using the dgrp_gui utility. This will throttle back the driver to accommodate WAN speeds, so the driver is not communicating at 10Mbps (LAN speed).

The MTU setting on this units is autodetected and should not be an issue.