ports/8em on strike

SCENARIO-- PC: Kontron MBx406, OS: Win2K SP4, Digi-Product: Ports/8EM (serial# v40286137), driver version: 4.3.48.0, device manager tells that the device is “working properly” and shows com port 3-10 correctly, EBI Power LED shows permanent green, original Digi loop back plug sticks in port 3. hyperterminal set up to talk through com port 3

PROBLEM-- hyperterminal shows no data, i verified that hyperterminal is understood (it works with null modem cable between two on board com ports) also our automation software realizes no communication over the multi port (again com 1 works)

FIRST TRY-- troubleshooting docu on CD talks about unique IRQs and I found IRQ 18 required by the network card, USB controller and the Digi board. disabling the network card did show no improvement… but is that really a problem with PCI?

SECOND TRY-- i downloaded the diagnostics DOS tool for PCI adapters. it does not fit on one floppy disk (!) so i ran it from a memo stick. it aborts telling me “PCI BIOS is NOT present…”.

Ideas are used up. Can anyone help?

If Loopback is inserted in port 3, you should connect Hyperterminal to COM5

i am aware that slot 1 corresponds to com port 3 and slot 8 corresponds to com port 10

i was ambiguous so let me rephrase: a confusion of Digi slots and the assigned com ports is not the cause of my problem