Problems with Realport and Lynxmotion servo control

I’m attempting to use a Digi Connect Wi-SP wireless serial adapter to a Lynxmotion servo control to make my servo control wireless.

I’ve used the Digi virtual com port (RealPort) but while Digi’s software reports no problems, as soon as I try to connect using the Lynx SSC-32 software I get Error code 31 (device driver not found). Using hyperterminal to try to connect, even though I have the port configured correctly, just straight up refuses to connect.

The manual and online support files aren’t particularly useful. I was hoping someone else has tried to do this and can help me out. I don’t need to use the virtual port or for that matter the SSC software just as long as I have a way to pass commands to servo controller.

Thanks in advance,
Kuro_Neko

Have you verified that the Realport driver can actually connect to the Wi-SP? I.E. you see ‘connected’ when you go to the Device Manager -> Multiport Serial Adapters -> Properties -> Advanced Tab.

Otherwise you need to make sure that no other PC has the serial port open on the Wi-SP (Web UI -> Connections) and that no other application on your PC is holding the COM port open.

Yes I have verified that the Realport driver can actually connect to the Wi-SP. I see the ‘connected’ just fine. It still refuses to connect, I still get ‘unable to open com port (win error code: 31)’ from the Lynx software and ‘Unable to open com port. Please check your settings’ from HyperTerminal.

How about the second half of the questions? I.E. connections on the Wi-SP itself or another application on your PC holding the port open? Another test is to load the Realport software onto a second PC that isn’t running your Lynx software and try to open Realport with hyper terminal on that PC.

I have tried using a PC without the Lynx software using HyperTerminal, same problem. And I’ve used the Windows process manager to terminate all extraneous processes so if something else is holding the port open I don’t know what. None of my other com ports are inaccessable. There are no connections on the Wi-SP.

I have tried using a PC without the Lynx software using HyperTerminal, same problem. And I’ve used the Windows process manager to terminate all extraneous processes so if something else is holding the port open I don’t know what. None of my other com ports are inaccessable. There are no connections on the Wi-SP.

On the Wi-SP, do you see any connections to the serial port (Web UI -> Connections)? Is the Serial port profile setup for ‘Realport’?

No, no connections to real port. And yes, it’s in Realport mode.

It wouldn’t be connections to realport, but connections to the serial port that wouldn’t allow you to open the serial port, are you seeing any of those? Can you attach your config to the next post as well?

Not sure what you wanted in the way of config so I grabbed everything I thought might be relevant, if this isn’t what you want let me know.

Model: Digi Connect Wi-SP
MAC Address: 00:40:9D:2D:A3:AC
Firmware Version: 2.4.5.1 (Version 82001220_H2 12/20/2006)
Boot Version: 1.1.1 (release_82001187_A)
POST Version: 1.1.3 (release_82001188_E)

Connections Management
Active System Connections
Connected From Connected To Protocol Sessions
realport server encrypted realport 0
192.168.1.101 webui http 0

Port Connections Management - Port 1

Action Connected From Connected To Protocol Sessions
No active connections.

Serial Port Configuration
Port Description Profile Serial Configuration
Port 1 None RealPort N/A

The below is good, but I also wanted to get the configuration file (Web UI -> Backup/Restore -> Backup).

Try this, telnet to the module, and then type ‘connect 1’. Does it give you a blank screen and let you talk through the serial port? If it does, that means that the serial port on the device isn’t getting tied up, if it errors out when you try to open it up, it means the serial port is probably tied up and the connection listing isn’t showing it.

Using the telnet approach it says com port in use.

Here’s the file.

I don’t see anything obviously wrong with the configuration file (i.e. it setup for term, etc). If you reboot it, and re-try the telnet test, does it work? If not, I’d factory default the module and re-set it up for Realport.

Rebooting does nothing. I have to go now, class. I’ll try the factory reset as soon as I can and get back to you. Thanks.

Actually, before you try that, what are the dip switches set to on the bottom of the unit? If they’re up (away from the serial port) the serial port it setup to allow users to connect through the serial port to configure the unit. You’ll want to change it back to 1 up and the the rest down (towards the serial port).

I reset the dip switches as you indicated. I did a factory reset and then did nothing but enable realport. I reinstalled the realport software and drivers on my computer. Nothing: telnet still reports “Resource temporarily unavailable. Serial Port in use.”

What does a ‘who’ show from the command prompt after you telnet in?

#> who

ID__From_____________To_______________Protocol______Sessions
-------------------------------------------__----------------_----------
1____________________realport server_____encrypted realport
2___192.168.1.101_____local shell_________telnet
3____________________serial 1___________encrypted realport

#>

An encrypted Realport session is currently holding the serial port open. I’m suprised it’s not showing you the IP address of which computer is using this.

There’s no other computer connected to it but me, well me through the router.