Prolific USB-to-RS232 not responding on AWUSB/2

Hi!

I’ve been struggling a bit with two different Prolific P2303-based USB-to-RS232 cables on the AnywhereUSB/2. One of the devices is an ST Lab USBSerial cable.

Both cables work fine while connected to a regular USB port.

The AnywhereUSB/2 device works well with other USB devices.

The P2303 cables are detected and drivers are installed correctly both when directly connected and while connected to the AWUSB/2.

I’ve tried both cables with different RS232 devices, all with consistent results as mentioned above.

The diagnostics tells me the cables are compatible.

Anyone with same experience, and/or solutions?

Hello,

What exactly do you mean by “not responding”?

By “not responding” I mean not communicating. It won’t communicate on the serial line.

As an example, I’ve connected the serial port to the console of an MSA2000 cabinet. 115200bps, 8n1. Communication is fine while connecting the Prolific-based cable/converter directly to a server’s USB port, but not while connected to the AWUSB/2 device. All while every device is OK in device manager, and the com port is accessible and seemingly usable within both Hyperterminal and Putty.

Through the AWUSB/2 there is no local echo, and I’m not able to get the prompt from the MSA controller. Or any other serial device I connect for that matter.

I’m really not sure what to suggest here. The AnywhereUSB is ultimately “just a USB hub” and thus doesn’t have anything to tweak that might help. The specific model you have, the AnywhereUSB/2, is new and is only compatible with the latest driver, so trying out other/older drivers isn’t an option.

Are you set on using that specific USB to serial converter? Our Edgeport USB to serial converters are definitely compatible.

Thanks for replying.

I’m not at all set on a certain converter. I just find it strange that for some reason converters based on this specific controller just doesn’t do the trick while connected to the AWUSB/2 hub. And I really can’t see any good explanation either.

If for any reason you’d like to have a look at the server, drivers or setup for debugging or anything, I might be able to assist you. You’ve got my email address if you should find a hands-on session with the OS useful. :slight_smile:

Did you ever get resolution on this? I’m experiencing a similar issue with a Prolific USB to Serial adapter. Same symptoms… It looks like I can connect, and Putty even complains when I reboot my AnywhereUSB device (So there is some level of communication) but I get no screen output from my serial device.

This wasn’t resolved. Our engineering group tried to re-create this, using two Prolific-based adapters, but couldn’t. We left off asking aTommyC to do a loopback test on the adapter, i.e. short the receive and transmit pins, but never got feedback. Maybe you can do the same thing?

I see that you created another thread, which I just replied to, so to avoid confusion, please reply in the other topic with the result, if you can try a loopback, and with any other info related to this issue.