XB24-AWI-001-revB as a coordinator

i have a 4 XB24-AWI-001-revB’s. i would like one to be a coordinator.

q1. is it just a matter of setting CS=1 to enable this?
q2. is there a coordinator function set firmware for this
particular module?
q3. would a XBee Pro be better suited for a coordinator?

thx

The term “coordinator” pretty much is irrelevant in an 802.15.4 context, since all nodes on a point-to-multipoint network are peers.

Coordinator has relevance when talking about Zigbee, because in a Zigbee network, a Coordinator is required to setup the wireless network. This is why our Zigbee-compliant offering (ZB) has special firmware for modules which are being used as the Coordinator.

As far as XBee or XBee-PRO, the XBee-PRO has longer range than an XBee due to a higher transmit power. Please see the datasheet for the modules of your choice to see what the actual distance is for each type.

>>The term “coordinator” pretty much is irrelevant in an 802.15.4 context, since all nodes on a point-to-multipoint network are peers.

what forum should i better served to post this thread?

Based on the part number you listed, XB24-AWI, this is the correct forum, since that’s an 802.15.4 module.

If you’re interested in Mesh Networking with Zigbee Pro featureset compliant modules, you’d want to purchase XB24-Z7 modules instead.

i can set the CE opt to make for a coordinator on the XB24-AWI, yet there isn’t many [function sets] to dl into it, as you know.

for our projects i think your recommendation of the XB24-Z7 would have more flexibility for us.

thanks for the suggestion …