XBEE API COMMUNICATION

Hi,

I am trying to make communicate one ZIGBEE ROUTER and one COORDINATOR in API mode, not AT mode.

ENVIRONMENT:
ZIGBEE ROUTER is connected to my PC with USB.
ZIGBEE COORDINATOR is pluged in a socket (to be powered).

CONFIGURATION:
So i updated my modules with the “function set” of X-CTU to become ZIGBEE ROUTER API (respectively ZIGBEE COORDINATOR API).
Then i clicked on “write” (“always update firmware checked”) button to make changes available.

TEST:
I tried to make my modules communicate by any means.
So i clicked on “Modem Configuration” then “Remote Configuration” (up left corner). A new window appear (Network).
I clicked on “Open Com Port” the “Discover”. A line appears with the coordinato adress.
I selected this line and i clicked on “Read”.
The coordinator configuration began loaded on my first window.
Conclusion : The modules could communicate, am i wrong?

RANGE TEST:
So i tried to send data to my coordinator module.
I wrote the destination address of my coordinator module (the one showed by the Network window).
And wrote down “TEST_XBEE_API_TS” for “Tx Data”.
But the test failed with “Timeout waiting for data”.

QUESTION :
Why the test is bad, i do not understand i spend hours with this issue.

Could anyone explain me step by step how can i reach to send successfully Tx Data.

Thanks.

Using XCTU over-the-air can be done from an API Router or API Coordinator, but keep in mind that when talking to API modules via XCTU, the “Enable API” box must be checked on the PC Settings tab.

As far as the range test, if “Enable API” mode is checked on the PC Settings tab, you’ll be able to do the range test to your API Coordinator if you use the loopback cluster ID.

Send an Explicit Addressing ZigBee Command API frame (0x11) using 0x12 as the cluster ID and
0xE8 as the source and destination endpoint. Data packets received by the remote will be echoed back to your XCTU session. A more indepth description of Cluster ID can be found on pages 74/75 at this link:

http://ftp1.digi.com/support/documentation/90000976_C.pdf

Hello StepByStep,

I’m a french student and i need help for Zigbee like you.

May be can we talk together about our problem,

my email : weil.bensalah at gmail.com

Your screenshots show you’re using 1x20, which is an obsolete ZNet 2.5 version and will therefore not be supported. I recommend migrating the entire PAN to the current ZB version.

hi boss,
Donot worry about range test, i have the same problem,but after discuss with the DIGI ,they sure to me that digiis not supporting for range test in API mode

Hey

Are you there?

where are you?

Hi my all friends

I also working on Xbee series 2. But on times I set ZIGBEE ROUTER SENSOR & pushed written switch, After than show

Write Parameters…Failed

Again i tried many times to connect X-CTU to Xbee, but every showing

Communication with modem… OK
Modem type = Name unknown[id=3534534156565]
Modem firmware version =

Serial number =

I m not getting, how can short-out this problems.

Please help me

> Using XCTU over-the-air can be done from an API
> Router or API Coordinator, but keep in mind that when
> talking to API modules via XCTU, the “Enable API” box
> must be checked on the PC Settings tab.
>

If the “Enable API” box wasn’t checked, i simply could not load any configuration module : so it was.

> As far as the range test, if “Enable API” mode is
> checked on the PC Settings tab, you’ll be able to do
> the range test to your API Coordinator if you use the
> loopback cluster ID.
>

In the range test tab, The “loop back” was checked too.

> Send an Explicit Addressing ZigBee Command API frame
> (0x11) using 0x12 as the cluster ID and
> 0xE8 as the source and destination endpoint. Data
> packets received by the remote will be echoed back to
> your XCTU session. A more indepth description of
> Cluster ID can be found on pages 74/75 at this link:
>
> http://ftp1.digi.com/support/documentation/90000976_C.
> pdf

In which X-CTU GUI tab can i configure the Cluster ID, source and destination endpoints. It is not mentioned in http://ftp1.digi.com/support/documentation/90000976_C.pdf.

I do not undertsand where in X-CTU i can wrote an explicit frame :frowning:

Section4-API firmware (p41) – Now suppose the coordinator’s 64-bit address is 0x0013A200404A2244. The following transmit
request API frame (0x10) will send an ASCII “1” to the coordinator:
7E 00 0F 10 01 0013 A200 404A 2244 0000 0000 31 18

I suppose that X-CTU create this frame for me since i give it the destination address in the range test tab.

Suppose I just want to send “HELLO” to the coordinator.
Here is the coordinator address(destination address) : 0x0013A200400A52B4
could you please tell me exactly what i have to write down and where in X-CTU GUI?

Thank you for your help.

Hi All,

How should i configure the Cluster ID, and source/destination endpoints (using X-CTU)?

This doc is not really “helpworthy”:
http://ftp1.digi.com/support/documentation/90000976_C.pdf

Thank you for your help.

This is a useful article regarding API packet generation, and has a link to a packet checksum calculator:

http://www.digi.com/support/forum/viewthread_thread,86#279

I’m in the same situation, please help us

You need to go to the Terminal tab of the X-CTU program. On that tab there is a button titled Assemble Packet. A new window will pop up. In the lower right hand corner are radio button for HEX and ASCII. You’ll need to select HEX. Then you can assemble API packets according to the document listed below (starting on page 88). After you have entered you packet in the window, then you press the Send Data button.

The specific API frame the admin is talking about it listed on page 91, Frame type 0x11. The Cluster ID should go into bytes 17 & 18 of that frame.

That is incorrect.

If you check the “Enable API” flag on the PC Settings tab of XCTU, you’ll see that the XCTU Range Test tab now has new fields which support Range Testing in API mode.