A stupid question??

Hallo all…

I am trying to use a Edgeport 4 PN: 301-1000-04 on a machine running windows XP. I have looked at all the available manuals for this thing and nowhere can i find any indication of how to USE the edgeport once it is installed on the machine…

1. Is it safe to plug serial devices in while everything is running ie: hotplugging?
  2. Do you have to shut down the computer before connecting/removing serial devices?
  3. I am connecting (as a test) a serial mouse to the edgeport 4 and windows detects it as an unknown device. If i force the proper drivers on it, the mouse still wont work??
  1. Is it safe to plug serial devices in while everything is running ie: hotplugging?

Yes, you can hotplug serial devices into the EP when it’s installed (or not installed). When the system status light is flashing green you’ll know it’s ready to use. You may want to take a look at the edgeport.exe program (START/RUN
“edgeport” without the quotes). That is a quick way to be sure the EP is installed properly and can quickly show you the com port numbers that have been assigned to each physical port.

1. Do you have to shut down the computer before connecting/removing serial devices?

No, you should never have to shut the PC down when using our product UNLESS you’ve used our utility to uninstall the serial port drivers. As far as plugging in devices you can just do it.

1. I am connecting (as a test) a serial mouse to the edgeport 4 and windows detects it as an unknown device. If i force the proper drivers on it, the mouse still wont work??

Mice aren’t a good test for USB to serial ports. Most mice need direct access to the UART and with USB to serial that is not possible. I suggest you try out your actual serial device that you want to use and let us know if you have problems with communication.

Mike Swift
mikes@digi.com