Edgeport/4 Win 7 64 bit problems

Hi,

I have 2 Edgeport/4’s. One I have had for quite some time and it works perfectly under Windows as far as I can tell. I have it set for COM4 through COM7 and I can connect with my serial devices and communicate without problems. I want to have a back-up device so I bought a second Edgeport/4. I can unplug the first device and plug in the second one which windows seems to recognize, the green light flashes and I can access it in Edgeport Config Utility. That is where it ends. None of the serial ports are working. They come up in the “Devices and Printers” window but they have no COM ports assigned to them - they are just the port number. I have attempted to set them to the same port numbers as the one I just removed, to COM port numbers 101 - 104, and to COM port numbers 8 - 11. I have plugged and unplugged, booted and re-booted all to no avail. The internal loopback test fails on each of the ports. Windows device manager show the Edgeport/4 with serial number but no serial ports are listed. ALL other settings in the config utility are identical to the first working serial port which are the default settings.

Where do I start?

I am going to attempt to attach some screenshots.

Rick.

I think I’ve got it!!! When I had a look at the Device Mangler once again, I notices that the ports were listed but all had a teeny tiny little question mark in the bottom corner. Just for the heck of it, I right clicked and told it to install the device driver, even though it said it was working. I browsed to the 5.3 directory and it installed the port which disappeared from that list and showed up in my COMM & LPT list. I did the other 4 and they are now all installed as well and enumerate properly with the proper COM port. As well, the Edgeport Configuration Utility will confirm communications in the internal loopback test. Hooray! I wish that this had been noted somewhere, someplace, previously. I have to wait for a few hours until I can get at the serial devices I am working with but I am fairly certain that this little problem is solved!

Hello, thanks for the note. Were you able to get your serial devices to work as well?

I’m not sure how the documentation is worded regarding this particular device installation, but this is a new install issue to me.

I will ask around to see if anyone else has seen this issue before.

Alternatively, you can always go to our Eservice Support portal at http://www.digi.com/support/eservice/login.jsp if you still have nave any questions or issues.
Thanks