"Access is Denied" message Installing AnywhereUSB drivers

I’m trying to install latest drivers for AnywhereUSB on an XP machine and after two pop ups of the “Found New Hardware Wizard” it fails with the message “Access is Denied”. I’ve installed the drivers on win 2003 machine without any problems before and remember there being 5 of these wizards popping up. I’ve gone through the forum and followed the instructions to download and install the latest drivers and copying over usbd.sys but nothing seems to get the drivers installed. I’ve done this all as administrator with my anti-virus\system-guard-thing turned off. Any ideas whats happening?

Please upload a screen capture showing that message.

Also, exactly what component is trying to be installed when you get that message? In other words, when the found new hardware wizard first appears, what is Windows identifying the device as? “AnywhereUSB Remote Hub”? “AnywhereUSB Host Controller”? Something else?

Finally, are you running a Service Pack on that Server 2003 machine? If so, what Service Pack?

The first found new hardware wizards successfully installs the “AnywhereUSB Remote Hub” component and the second wizards attempts to install the “AnywhereUSB Host Controller” but fails with that.

I believe at the time the win 2003 machine had service pack 2.

Try this:

1. Double-click My Computer.

2. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.

3. Click the View tab.

4. Check "Show hidden files and folders and uncheck “Hide protected operating system files”. While you’re there, uncheck “Hide extensions for known file types” in case you need to use the method below, then click OK.

5. Try to re-install that AnywhereUSB Host Controller.

Does that resolve the issue? If not, nagivate into the “c:\windows\inf” directory and manually delete only the OEM#.inf files that pertain to the AnywhereUSB. To determine which files are related, use the Windows search feature to search within files in “c:\windows\inf” for the word “AnywhereUSB”.

…then try to install the AnywhereUSB Host Controller again, of course.

That didn’t work either. I deleted three oemxx.inf files where AnywhereUSB showed up and re-installed the drivers without uninstalling the installed drivers and got the same results. I did the same thing again but uninstalled the installed drivers and got the “Access is Denied” message too.

Re-install the service pack that you’re currently running over the top of itself and let me know if that helps.

I’m sorry for late reply. I reinstalled XP service pack 3 then reinstalled the drivers and still no go. I’ve given up on this particular machine and just moved to another XP machine which installed the drivers smoothly.

Thanks for the feedback and sorry we couldn’t get it resolved on that particular machine. Obviously, we haven’t come across that error message before, which is why I couldn’t offer a quick fix.