Can Xbee run code without being connected to another device?

Hello!

I’d like to know if you can run code in an Xbee module without being connected to the computer or another device like arduino.

For example, I want to have 2-3 Xbee modules that communicate with each other sending information and then take decisions by code without using the X-CTU software and AT commands. And I don’t want those Xbee modules to be connected to the PC or other devices, they have to run by themselves with a coin cell battery and run some code previously written into their memory. Is this possible? If so, can you provide me some info/documentation to take a look? which language do you have to use to program the instructions? Which Xbee model do I need?

Thank you!

Sounds like you want the radios to perform a specific function that otherwise would have ran on a mC or processor. If that is the case, then you must use the programmable versions of the product.

Thank you! But the programmables Xbee can run the code by themselves? I mean, can they be isolated from any kind of device like a PC or Arduino and autoconfigure their own parameters like channel, destination address… just through the code?

Yes, think of the programmable xbee as an XBee with an external processor connected. The only difference is that the processor is on the same board.

Thank you again!
Last question. Where can I find a tutorial or documentation about how to set the parameters through the code? I see a lot of documentation where you can see which are the commands to change the channel, to scan the energy… from the XCTU, but I don’t find documentation to learn how to set this parameters from the main function of the code for example.

That is in the AT command section as well as the API section of the manual.