Config file/firmware (2065) can't be found for XTend-PKG

I am trying to connect to an existing XTend-PKG radio via XCTU, but I keep getting an error message saying that the firmware (2065) can’t be found, and would I like to download an update. I say yes, but after several attempts I still can’t connect to the radio.

I finally downloaded the .zip of the firmware update but noticed that the “missing” firmware, 2065, doesn’t appear in the zip. I see 2060, 2067, 206c, 206e, and 206f but no 2065.

At this point, is there any way to get into this radio?

2065 is simply not available. You are going to need to use the XBee recovery function to install a newer version of the firmware on your Xtends.

1 Like

Hi, thanks for the response.

Does the XBee recovery function save all the current configuration settings, or wipe them out? I’m a bit worried that if I brick this radio/delete the current config by accident, then the entire existing system will be down and that would be an enormous issue.

It will overwrite the settings.

Dang, this is really bad news. The issue is, the radio I have works with an existing system (a PC workstation based SCADA called Lookout) but it doesn’t work with the replacement system we’re installing (a SCADAPack PLC). So the catch-22 is, I need to adjust settings in the radio to make the timing work but I need to know what the settings currently are to get an idea of where to start. And if the 2065 firmware isn’t available, that means I can never actually get into the existing radio. Sounds like I’m at a dead end here, but if there’s anything you can suggest I would be all ears. Thanks!

Have you considered using the old version of XCTU to do the update with? You can use the Clear function to clear the settings before you upgrade the firmware.

You can also use a terminal to enter command mode and read the settings one at a time.

Have you considered using the old version of XCTU to do the update with? You can use the Clear function to clear the settings before you upgrade the firmware.

Not sure what you mean by this; if I need to see the settings before firmware update how would Clearing them be of benefit? Sounds like I’m missing something.

You can also use a terminal to enter command mode and read the settings one at a time.

Interesting! I do have terminal software on my laptop (Tera Term) so I could try this; would it be simply connecting and using AT commands once in command mode? Or do you mean the XCTU software for terminal (or does it matter)? I’ve found the section in the user guide for doing this, so I think I can see a path forward here.

Thanks!

I am referring to XCTU version 5286 or older. It allows you to upload the new firmware but keep the existing settings. That is done by manually selecting the modem type, function set and version. Then instead of clicking on Write, you click on Clear Screen and then Write.

Either Tera term or XCTU’s terminal would work fine for that. You would have to enter command mode first and then issue the AT commands one at a time without a value to read it.

I would suggest ordering a new interface board as well.

Oh, this is very interesting, thanks for the tip on the older version. I’ll try this on a spare radio first to get a feel for it. And if necessary I will try the terminal method.

What exactly do you mean by interface board? Right now I’m plugging straight into the dsub connector on the radio via a RS232-to-USB converter (I have a -PKG model inside an enclosure). Would the interface board be the circuit card inside? Or is an interface board used to interface with the actual radio module itself if I didn’t have the -PKG?

Never mind about the interface board. Was thinking of something else when I said it.