Digi One SP LAN not WAN utilization

I’ve been trying for nearly a week to unsuccessfully access my DOSP from a remote location and just found out today that it can’t be done. According to a recent email
from Digi Tech Support

“You cannot use a non-routable private IP address if you want to access a device from outside your own network.”

For the newcomers that don’t know what a private IP address as I didn’t until today here is a link to info
http://www.pku.edu.cn/academic/research/computer-center/tc/html/TC0305.html

I figured I could share maritime navigational data from my AIS VHF receiver with others on the web with a Digi ONE SP, but it is only for LAN networks, Here is a link to a resource page where others are sharing live AIS feed over a telnet IP address and port. http://www.milltechmarine.com/resources_links.htm

Click on the following link to see the data stream via telnet telnet://66.235.48.168:3047
If you are using Coastal Explorer you can set up a network input port as a listener with this address. If you are running other PC-based navigation packages that use serial port inputs, you can use Franson’s GpsGate to redirect network data from port 3047 to a virtual serial port. Then configure your software to use this virtual COM port.
Note: This data stream is connected to a receiver on a sail boat. If the boat is sailing, the connection will be offline.

Yet there is another Digi One SP customer that is doing the same thing and sending the data to his web server for AISLive. http://www.aislive.com/AISLivePortal/DesktopDefault.aspx

Link with the Digi One SP setup http://www.lrfairplay.com/services/internet/aislive/installkit.htm

Potential users surfing the web go to the web site where hundreds of global feeds originating from Digi One SPs terminate.

My question is, how can I do the same thing with my newly purchased Digi One SP? I understand now that the Digi One SP " cannot use a non-routable private IP address if I want others to access a device from outside my LAN network."

How do I set up the DOSP to send the feed to my web host on my web page? Or do I have to physically have a web server in my home where the globally positioned remote Digi One SP’s send feeds to my server.

Thanks in advance for your help and direction to the proper resources

Regards,

John

Message was edited by: watermon

“You cannot use a non-routable private IP address if you want to access a device from outside your own network.”

This is true, but if you have a router, you can usually configure NAT/Port Forwarding so that incoming traffic to the router’s external IP is forwarded to the internal IP of your Digi One SP. Example: incoming traffic to the WAN IP of the router on TCP port 2101, is forwarded to TCP port 2101 at the internal IP (192.168.0.x) of the Digi One SP. That’s probably how the other examples you mentioned are being done.

So, check your router documentation for details on how to configure the router’s NAT table or setup Port Forwarding, and you should be set.

Michael,

Thanks for the update. I found the correct info on the D-Link site for the correct settings for my Digi One SP (DOSP):

Home > Advanced Settings > Virtual Server > Enter DOSP IP and Port info

Virtual Server
The device can be configured as a virtual server so that remote users accessing services such as Web or FTP services via the public (WAN) IP address can be automatically redirected to local servers (DOSP) in the LAN network. Depending on the requested service (TCP/UDP port number), the device redirects the external service request to the appropriate server within the LAN network. At the bottom of the screen, there are already defined well-known virtual services. To use them, click on the edit icon. You will only need to input the LAN IP address of the computer running the service and enable it.

Name - The name referencing the virtual service.(DOSP)

Private IP - The server computer in the LAN network that will be providing the virtual services.(192.168.0.101)

Private Port - The port number of the service used by the DOSP (2001)

Private IP computer. IP of DOSP

Protocol Type - The protocol used for the virtual service.(TCP)

Public Port - The port number on the WAN side that will be used to access the virtual service.(23)

Schedule - The schedule of time when the virtual service will be enabled.(Always)

I finally figured it out that I use the router Public IP address and the DOSP Telnet TCP Port: 2001 to access the DOSP device remotely.

Hopefully this post will help other novices like myself who are just gettung started with serial server networking.

Thanks,

John
Santa Fe, Texas