Edgeport/1 won't loopback

I’ve attached an Edgeport/1 device to my Dell M4400 laptop, installed the latest drivers, and am unable to get a loopback test of the device to produce any output. The part number of this device is: 50000828-01.

For testing, I’ve shorted pins 2 and 3 on the DE-9 connector. When I press keys in the comm program (TeraTerm), I get no characters on the screen.

When I replace the above device with an older Edgeport/1, part number 50000823-01, the loopback test performs normally.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Kelly

Hello Kelly,

1. What are the serial numbers of both Edgeports?

2. What are the COM port assignments of both Edgeports?

3. With both Edgeports disconnected from the PC, take a screen capture of Windows Device Manager (maximized) with the “Bluetooth” (if applicable), “Modems” (if applicable), and “Ports (COM & LPT)” sections all expanded.

Hi Jeremy,

1. and 2.
    Non-working adapter:
    p/n: (1P) 50000828-01 D
    s/n: (S) W83503762
    installed on COM8

Working adapter:
p/n: (1P) 50000823-01 D
s/n: (S) I83435679
installed on COM9

1. See attachment. Note that no Edgeport devices were installed in the system, but the driver for the older device was still appearing in the Device Manager.

You actually have two different kinds of Edgeports.

S/N W83503762 is an Edgeport/1i, which only does RS-422 or RS-485, not RS-232.

S/N SI83435679 is an Edgeport/1, which is RS-232 only.

Based on the testing that you did, things make sense. The Edgeport/1 should be passing that loopback test, and the Edgeport/1i shouldn’t be passing it.

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for your help! I wish the label on the top of the unit said “Edgeport/1i”, but it’s easy enough for me to do that with a Sharpie. I see that the label on the bottom does have the “1i”, but it’s a subtle thing :wink:

Thanks again,
Kelly