Edgeport/8 with XP Dissappearing Com ports

With an Edgeport/8 (301-1002-08 ) connected to a Kontron 6U running windows XP with the latest drivers ( edgeport.exe 5.49 ) it will function normally for a few days then a couple of com ports disappear.When looking on Edgeport Properties you will see 6 of the 8 ports. I have two devices connected yet I have also seen only one Edgeport/8 shown on the General Tab with 14 ports shown.
Unplugging the USB and plugging back in restores the full 8 ports. Any ideas?

Andy,

I’m not familiar with the Edgeport 5.49 driver, I’m speculating that is the version of the edgeport.exe program you’re running. We recently put a 4.40 version of our driver on our website, I think you may be using those.

“it will function normally for a few days then a couple of com ports disappear.When looking on Edgeport Properties you will see 6 of the 8 ports. I have two devices connected yet I have also seen only one Edgeport/8 shown on the General Tab with 14 ports shown”

Unfortunately I will need much more information than this to ascertain what is going on. Please email me directly at mikes@digi.com with the answers to the following questions.

1. Please give me details of the serial hardware you’re attaching to the Edgeport
  2. Details of the app(s) used to communicate to the above devices.
  3. Any clues/ideas on what’s going on before you see these two ports “disappearing?”
  4. Is the same thing going on with this PC when the Edgeport seems to be acting strangely?
  5. Is the Edgeport attached direclty to the PCs USB ports (1.1 or 2.0?) or are there any USB hubs between the PC and the EP?
  6. What is the system status light of the EP doing when this problem occurs?
  7. Does what shows in device manager match what you’re seeing in the edgeport.exe program?

Please email me at mikes@digi.com

Thanks
Mike Swift