edgeport8 not detected

We have an account that requires us to replace Edgeport switches from time to time. it seems that 1 out of ever 3 we run into issues with swapping out the switch the new switch will no detect or drivers do not recognize it. Sometimes rebooting will solve the issue and sometimes reinstalling drivers will, then sometimes nothing we do resolves the issue. Also we can move the edgeport to another usb port and works fine.

Any one have experience with these simple boxes and what could be causing them not to detect properly. Should they be replaced hot or with no power? Assumed since they are usb devices basically that you could hot swap them out, again it seems this only works 60% of the time.

Here is some generation information / general suggestions:

• It is OK to “hot swap” an Edgeport/8.
  • You should have better results using an onboard/native USB port rather than a USB hub.
  • You may have better results using USB ports on the back of the PC instead of the front of the PC.

Thank you for the suggestions. The issues have gotten even stranger.

First, when we swap out Digi, we use the same onboard usb port the original was connected to. If that fails, then we test on the other rear usb ports and front ports if none of the rear work.
We then have the server admin attempt to reinstall the drivers and go thru the ports again after a reboot. There imo is some OS corruption with either the digi driver or the actual usb controller driver when anything we try fails.
We have replaced sys bds which will sometimes resolve the issue. I think when we do this method the OS is refreshing the drivers due to new if you will HW is detected.
We have even attempted to replace the 8 port digi with a 16 port digi thinking possibly the issue is with power from the usb ports. the 16 has its own power supply.

Odd occurrence on this latest one we had…
When we swapped the 8port out with the 16port, the server could see all 16 ports under “Other devices” in device mgr and would appear and disappear every few seconds. Note however the digi interface would not load.

Again I think the OS drivers got corrupted possibly or the sys admin deleted something they shouldnt have when trying to reinstall digi drvs. I think in the end on this extreme case, they had to send out imaged drives to finally resolve the issue, or its possibly still being worked on, but I have not had to work on the issue again since last week.

Again thank you for your input.

Thanks for this additional information.

I can re-assure you that this does not sound like a known “Digi” issue to me, from supporting Edgeports for many years now. This sounds very unusual to me.