Edgport 8 showing up as Edgeport/4?

I’ve got an Edgeport/8 connected to a windows 2003 server box. I’ve loaded the 4.40 drivers. The unit shows up in the device manager as an Edgeport/4. But it has 8 physical serial ports, not just 4. How do I get it to properly show up as an Edgeport/8 not a /4?

Info:
Vendor ID 0x1608
Product ID 0x0001
Identifier 04-01-015947
Part Number 350-1000-11-A
Boot code 1.13.7
Download code 1.18.12

Rom size 8kb
Ram size 32kb
CPU revision 1
Board revision 3
Number of ports 4 (which is incorrect)
Mfgr date 030301

So, what gives? Does it have the wrong firmware on it or something? Is there anything I can reconfigure or patch to get it working properly?

Look on the white label on the bottom of the unit and tell me the 50xxxxxx part number (and revision, which would be a letter, if applicable).

I have the same issue with an Edgeport/8:

s/n 04-09-000933
p/n 301-1002-18

Not sure what this is but there is a code under the device name on the label:

512/301-7080

Yeah, I knew you’d ask that. Trouble is there was a patch of velcro on the bottom. When I tried peeling it off the label came with it! Is there some other way to obtain the info you’d need? I’d be willing to crack open the case to get numbers off the circuit boards if needed.

As far as I’m aware, that particular part number isn’t on the board itself. The reason I wanted that part number was to determine which chipset your Edgeport/8 uses.

For some reason, the Product ID (PID) of your Edgeport/8 is 0001, which is for an Edgeport/4. We can’t change what’s hard-coded into the Edgeport for the PID, but we can change the .inf file.

Try this:

1. Go to the folder where you extracted the 4.40 driver (c: emp by default) and edit the file “edgeport.inf” using Notepad. Search for “0001” and you should find this line:

%Ep4DeviceName% = Edgeport.Install, USB\VID_1608&PID_0001

Swap the numbers 0001 and 0002 so that line and the following line are like this:

%Ep4DeviceName% = Edgeport.Install, USB\VID_1608&PID_0002
%Ep8DeviceName% = Edgeport.Install, USB\VID_1608&PID_0001

Afterwards, save that file then uninstall the Edgeport, using the Uninstall button under the Advanced tab of the Edgeport Configuration Utility. Reboot the PC and install it like you did before. Does it install as an Edgeport/8 now? If not, try swapping that 0001 PID with other Edgeport/8 units further down in that .inf file, for example:

[i]%Ep8DeviceName% = Edgeport.Install, USB\VID_1608&PID_0008

%Ep8DeviceName% = Edgeport.Install, USB\VID_1608&PID_000F

%Ep8DeviceName% = Edgeport.Install, USB\VID_1608&PID_020F

%Ep8DeviceName% = Edgeport.Install, USB\VID_1608&PID_0244p[/i]

If we had your 50xxxxxx part number I could tell you exactly which one to use, but without it it’s a guessing game (using one of the ones listed above until you find one that works).

Between trying each of these, you’ll need to uninstall the Edgeport driver.

Of course, if this is an inconvenience then let me know and we can get your unit repaired or replaced.

Ugh, I’m an idiot. This gear is all rack-mounted. Guess where the cable for the E/8 was going… nowhere. Guess what was connected… an E/4 stuffed out of sight. So, yeah, the software was doing just what it’s supposed to do. Problem was between keyboard and chair…

Hehe, thanks for the update.

Dan_C, I just sent you an e-mail about this. I’d like for you to reply with some screen captures.