How to use sw and hw

i’m not sure how to setup AnyWhereUSB to run with an app.

i’ve set up AnyWhereUSB, can connect to it, assigned IP,etc. I see it on my testing box.
so on the test box, i’ve also installed an app that require a USB device attached to the system so that it can operate in single user mode, not network mode).

How do i tell the sw to go look for the AnyWhereUSB device, find the USB sentinel plug connected to the AnyWhere hub, so that the sw can work?

PS- i work for the sw company, we’re trying to gauge how this may work with respect to our app.
thanks!

The AnywhereUSB is designed to be transparent and, thus act like any other kind of USB hub, or local USB port for that matter. So you shouldn’t have to do anything different than you would if the USB sentinel plug was, say, connected directly to the PC’s USB port.

Are you sure the AnywhereUSB is installed? If so, the 5 port lights should be solid green.

i have ports 1, 3 and 5 as solid green.
ports 2 and 4 are off.
system status led is blinking green.

and on the back, where i have the sentinel plug connected to USB port 1, the sentinel plug itself is blinking green.

for the app itself, i kick off the app and it should sense the USB sentinel plug and open up in single user mode. instead it comes up and says it can’t run in single mode.

so there’s nothing further in the Anywhere USB config util that i can do?

thank you for your quick response!

> i have ports 1, 3 and 5 as solid green.
> ports 2 and 4 are off.
> system status led is blinking green.
>
> and on the back, where i have the sentinel plug
> connected to USB port 1, the sentinel plug itself is
> blinking green. correction- the plug is solid green****
>
> for the app itself, i kick off the app and it should
> sense the USB sentinel plug and open up in single
> user mode. instead it comes up and says it can’t run
> in single mode.
>
> so there’s nothing further in the Anywhere USB config
> util that i can do?
>
> thank you for your quick response!

>> “ports 2 and 4 are off.”

This tells me that your AnywhereUSB is not fully installed.

Please send me a screen capture of Windows Device Manager.

please find attached images of Device Manager.

thank you!

I don’t see anything related to the AnywhereUSB in Device Manager, like I’m expecting to.

So my best guess is that another PC is already connected to the AnywhereUSB. If you launch the AnywhereUSB Configuration Utility, what is the “Status” (at the bottom right)?

(please read the whole message - it stopped working again as i typed this out…)

ok, i ran thru the install again- grabbed the .exe instead of the zip file, and ran thru all again.

my 5 ports are lit and the app is running.

also looking at device manager, i see added items under USB controllers, named Anywhere, etc…

but hey. The line items disappeared. And the hub is back to a blinking state, instead of 5 solid green lights.

any explanations?
thanks!

What’s the Status at the bottom-right?

Anything in Device Manager in the USB section, related to the AnywhereUSB?

What Operating System are you running? And is it 32-bit or 64-bit?

Which AnywhereUSB driver version are you running? To determine this, click “View / Driver Information” and note the version of “awusbsys.sys”.

another device is connected to the USB?
i thought we could have the Anywhere USB set up somewhere, then multiple PCs could connect to it.

Is that not the way it works?

thanks!

at the bottom right, the icon disappeared.
The Anywhere line items disappeared in the Device Manager - they were there for a while, then disappeared.
64bit XP OS.

under c:\windows\system32\drivers
awUsbSys64.sys - 2.51.3.0
awvusbd64.sys - 2.51.3.0
(is this driver info you are looking for?)
thanks!

Reboot the PC, run the AnywhereUSB Configuration Utility, then tell me what the “Status” is.

That’s a common misconception. The AnywhereUSB was designed to function like any other 5-port USB hub: To give a single PC 5 additional USB ports.

Since we’ve had so many requests for the feature you’re looking for, we’re planning on releasing a newer AnywhereUSB in August (last I heard) that will allow multiple PCs to connect to different USB ports.

Not so much the feature we are looking for. I’m actually testing to make sure multiple PCs can’t take advantage of our app when app is purchased as single-mode THEN purchasing your device to get multi-system access.

Does that make sense?
Our app can be purchased single-user (1 license) or for enterprise use (many licenses). Partially controlled thru the type of USB plug (single or enterprise). So i have the app running in sinle-mode, on this same system i installed the AnywhereUSB sw. I got box1 to run the app in single-mode, sees USB plug which hangs off Anywhere USB device. Now i need to see if box2 will run OFF THE SAME AnywhereUSB DEVICE.

From what you are saying, only 1 system can connect to the AnywhereUSB and use a USB device connected to it. This would be good for us. :wink: Come August it will be another matter.

May a developer and I phone you?

right now i’ve run thru the install again and Found New HW, see 4 line items in the USB Device Manager screen.

i’m letting it sit like this for ~15 minutes, just make sure the line items don’t disappear.
then i’ll run my app again, see if kicking off the app makes those line items disappear. Because s/thing i did earlier made that info drop off.
also, AWUSB shows all 5 ports in solid green mode right now. i have about 6 minutes to go.

have you ever heard of this, where the data disappears?

thanks!

Please add your e-mail address to your profile, make it public, then I’ll e-mail you my direct line.

done, thanks!