AnywhereUSB5 connecion problem

Hi !

I just trying to connect AnywhereUSB/5 to my Windows XP Pro.
I’m using driver version 1.90.0.

After I instal driver, AnywhereUSB/5 box enter in … hmmm … strange (?) state. All leds are blinking alternately red and green.

What is going on ?

I have 2 of the Anywhere USB/5 devices and have the same issue with both. Regardless of whether I use a crossover cable, network patch cable, or hub, I can’t seem to see either of the devices. I’m using Driver v1.9 which I just downloaded, and my PC is an IBM t60 laptop running XP SP2. I’ve checked the firewall, and some settings are being controlled by system policy, although I was able to enable/disable.

The system status light is flashing green, and the port lights are scanning green.

Where am I going wrong?

Thanks,
Mike

It’s normal for the LEDs to flash rapidly for a brief period of time when the firmware is being updated. This happens during the driver installation process, if it’s detected that newer firmware is available for your AnywhereUSB.

Is your unit “stuck” constantly blinking red and green?

I have the same issue, the usb socket lights are doing a “knightrider” impersenation while the status light is blinking happily away.

I have it connected to a laptop via a shared switch, and have tried a hub (shock horror) with no success.

I am running the latest driver off the net.

The application doesn’t pick anything up, I need to conenct to it to configure it to get a DHCP assigned IP.

>> Is your unit “stuck” constantly blinking red and green?

Yes ! Nothing help. Windows firewall are off. Connectin via ethernet hub or direct with crossover cable … and nothing.

wdc,

If your 5 port lights are roaming left-to-right and green colored then this is OK. This just means the AnywhereUSB is not connected to a computer. (Once it is connected to a computer, those 5 port lights should turn solid green.)

It sounds like the AnywhereUSB Configuration Utility isn’t discovering the AnywhereUSB. The most common reason for this is software firewalls, so disable Windows Firewall (if applicable) and any other 3rd party software firewalls you may have running on that PC and let me know if that helps. Be sure to close and re-open the AnywhereUSB Configuration Utility afterwards - you must click “File / Exit”, otherwise you will just minimize it to the system tray by pressing the “X” at the top-right.

sweet it was the firwall, tks.

Unfortunately, your unit needs to either be repaired or replaced. Please update your e-mail address in your profile and I will send you the RMA form.

Profile just updated.

Mike,

If you can’t discover the AnywhereUSB’s with the configuration utility it’s one of the following (or a combination)

1. There is a router between the computer and the AnywhereUSB.
  2. Something is blocking udp traffic on port 3422
  3. The AnywhereUSB isn’t connected properly (cable bad, not powered properly).

From your description I am thinking it’s most likely number 2. I’ve seen where antivirus software can cause some issues. If necessary do a PortScan of all ports on your subnet range to see which ports are open and which ones are blocked.

I’ve tried 2 different AnywhereUSB/5’s and I’m having the same issue. We’re not blocking any ports internally. I had the same issue/result using the hub locally, so no router would be involved.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike

Since you’ve tried two AnywhereUSB’s that would make me believe that it’s not a AWUSB hardware issue. I assure you that something is blocking UDP on that system you’re trying to install it on…you just haven’t figured out what yet. Please remember it doesn’t necessarily have to be a router on the network, it can be software loaded on that system.

The simplest thing you can try is hooking the AWUSB direclty to the PC via the xover cable after setting up a static IP on that NIC. I believe you have done this already. You could try to install the software on a completely different computer to see what kind of results you have.

I’ll try a non-cdh machine, and more new cables and let you know how it comes out.

Thanks,
Mike

You were exactly right. I installed (kind of) the drivers on my home Vista machine and found it right off the bat with the crossover cable.

We had purchased this device with the intention of sharing it across vm’s, but since that’s not an option I’m not sure it’ll work for us.

Thanks for your help!
Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the update. If you continue to work with us you’ll find out that we never make mistakes here in support :slight_smile: Ok, I’m obviously just kidding.

That being said, if you do decide you can work with the AnywhereUSBs feel free to contact me at anytime if you run into further issues.

Take care,
Mike Swift

Hi Mike,

We have recently purchased this device & i have successfully configured the IP address to the device.

But when after configuring device when I connected that to the switch the all LED’s are still blinking.

What does this mean?

Thanks,
MV

Hi MV,

Unfortunately, Mike is no longer with us. I’ll be able to assist you in his absence.

To start troubleshooting AnywhereUSBs, it’s always best to know what the “Status” is, if you look at the bottom-right of the AnywhereUSB Configuration Utility.

What is the Status of the AnywhereUSB in question?