Modem not working after upgrade to 804B

We have several XB24-ACI-001 devices that we can upgrade to DigiMesh 8003 but when we attempt to upgrade to 804B the modem no longer responds. Are these too old for this firmware upgrade or do we have to do something special to make them work?

When you upgraded to 8003, did the communication actually work?

If the silkscreen on the module says Digi, there’s a very good chance that the module will still take the upload. If the silkscreen says MaxStream, then the module is too old to support the firmware upgrade.

It’s a MaxStream modem. I’m able to upgrade to the latest rev of the 802.15.4 firmware and also to the 8003 DigiMesh firmware. Is there something special or different with the 804B firmware?

> If the silkscreen says MaxStream, then the
> module is too old to support the firmware upgrade.

> one of the easiest ways is to look at the silk screen

Hi there

IMO that’s not accurate advice.
I have DigiMesh 2.4 modules purchased directly from Digi less than 2 months ago, and they have the “old” MaxStream logo. The “Digi” logo is not printed or silkscreened anywhere, top or underside.

These modules accepted the update to 804b w/o any problem.
Plus an XB24-ACI-001-revB device (w/MaxStream logo) was upgraded to DigiMesh rev 804b.

Regards

I hope some one from Digi will correct this if I’m wrong.
I believe that the difference between the modules marked as Maxstream verse the Digi marked modules is the chip set they use.
The series 1 modules use a Freescale chip set whereas the series 2 use the Ember chip set. They can run the same code thus firmware for one will not run in the other.

I always thought that X-CTU should be able to ID which chip set is in the module and not allow loading incompatible firmware.

The module silk-screening of Digi vs. Maxstream is one to do with age, rather than being Freescale vs. Ember.

You are correct in that only the Freescale (aka Series 1) chips can use 802.15.4 or DigiMesh 2.4 firmware; and that only the Ember (aka Series 2) chips can use the ZNet 2.5, ZB, or SE firmware.

“The module silk-screening of Digi vs. Maxstream is one to do with age, rather than being Freescale vs. Ember.”

Thanks, that is good to know.

So then, what is the easiest and best way to determine the module series by looking at the module?

The best way would be by part number.

XB24-A or XBP24-A would be a Freescale (series 1) module originally shipped with 802.15.4 firmware on it, whereas XB24-DM or XBP24-DM would be a Freescale (series 1) module originally shipped with DigiMesh 2.4 firmware.

XB24-B or XBP24-B would be an Ember (series 2) module originally shipped with ZNet 2.5, XB24-Z7 or XBP24-Z7 would be an Ember (series 2) module originally shipped with ZB firmware.

Picking up on gworle’s comment “If the silkscreen on the module says Digi, there’s a very good chance that the module will still take the upload. If the silkscreen says MaxStream, then the module is too old to support the firmware upgrade.”

Do all firmware versions support the HV (Hardware Version) command? If so, then would a more precise answer be available by quoting the minimum hardware version on which a particular firmware release would run?

John,

If the hardware versions where released to the public, then yes that would be true. However since they have not been, one of the easiest ways is to look at the silk screen as GWorle suggested.

Yep, the confusion continues.

If Digi doesn’t want to release the Hardware versions and compatibilities then maybe this function could be written into X-CTU. X-CTU can read the HV and then only list (or not grey out) the firmware versions that would work.

Just wanted to let everyone know that we’re working on a guide which will fully address this question of compatibility.

The bottom line is that the DM 2.4 firmware requirement is that the Freescale chip its being loaded on has a SIP. The SIP is not viewable however, as its underneath the “can” which is on the underside of the module.

Those modules sold as loose modules will have the firmware they shipped with listed on the underside of the module. The first SIP version/dividing line in the 108x line was 1084, and in the 10Ax line was 10A5, so modules of firmware 1083/10A4 or earlier will NOT work with the DM 2.4 firmware.

Modules which were embedded in an XBee adapter or CP-X gateway are labelled differently, so this is the part we need to better define compatibility-wise via datecode, hardware rev, or some other way. This is the part I’m still researching, and will post an update when I have one.

> Those modules sold as loose modules will have the
> firmware they shipped with listed on the underside of
> the module.

Hi there

There are no firmware version numbers on the modules I have (with MaxStream logo). There is a date code. Or is this firmware version printed only if there is the Digi silkscreen?

If so, then none of this helps the OP.

> The first SIP version/dividing line in the 108x line
> was 1084, and in the 10Ax line was 10A5, so modules of
> firmware 1083/10A4 or earlier will NOT work with the DM
> 2.4 firmware.

You only mention 108x and 10Ax. What about 10Cx?

Regards