multicast groups from the coordinator

Hi,

I want to know how I can create groups in a network to multicast these groups from the coordinator.

I am using xbee s2 modules in API mode.

So I can send only one message that have multiple nodes as destination, some kind of broadcast message but not for all devices.

I would appreciate if someone could give me some tips.

Regards.

Without implementing it in your application and using some the addressing functions and API mode, I don’t think you can on that product.

Thank you for you response.

So you cannot multicast with the xbee series 2 modules?

Could you tell me which you refer when you said “using some addressing functions”?

Best Regards

As far as I can tell, the S2 or ZB modules do not support Multicasting. I believe you must use the ZB SMT modiule for that function.

What I was referring to is that you would still have to issue a broadcast transmission but in your applcation you would have to determine if that packet was for you or not…

Yes I understand, but I think is not a good way to do it.

I read something in the manual relating to multicasting using the binding table, but is not very clear.

Thanks

That is correct. Multicasting requries creating a Binding table and you send data to that binding address. It is either this or send broadcast packets and implement the multoicast function within your application.