Portserver TS 8 MEI problem

Hi guys,
I have a portserver TS 8 MEI…
Main use is RS232 Com… Used for our Traffic Signal Serial to ethernet connectivity.

Problem:
i recently replace a malfunctioning Portserver TS 8 mei at the control center 2 weeks ago. the malfunctioning Portserver doesn’t have power and cannot be restore to factory default settings.

i have another unit here that has problem connecting with the ethernet. i cannot search for the ip address using digi device discovery. and i aslo noticed that the PWR LED is blinking.

The new unit that is replaced at the control center is also malfunctioning. the ports are not functioning after 2 weeks.

can you guys help me on solving my problems. i already ran out of replacements.

thanks.

It is probably “ground potential difference” problems. For example I lived in Singapore for 11 years, working around the region and it was comon to see a 2-3 volt difference between the “N/Nuetral” wires in a new and old section of a building.

With 8 RS-232 cables - all with a “ground wire”, the TS8 is acting like an expensive fuse to any ground problems you are having…

Options (in my order of preference):

1. make sure all 8 devices have a common, heavy-guage ground link EXTERNAL of the TS8. For example, literally run a green ground wire from each to the same chassis ground bar.

2. add RS-232 surge devices externally and make sure all have their surge output are tied togather.

3. add optical isolation to all RS-23 lines - or do some simple ground tests to determine which devcies have an effect ground and which may be either offset or floating.

Ok. what can i do about the digiport that is malfunctioning

You’ll want to contact Digi Tech. Support for making repair arrangements on your non-functioning unit(s).