Possible solution - read/write XBee (pro) firmware using X-CTU

All,

I’ve been having a good deal of trouble reading and writing firmware/settings to modules using the X-CTU software - I understand this is a general problem. I seem to have stumbled onto a workaround (at least it’s worked two days in a row on ~ modules - a mix of XBee, XBee Pro and XBee Pro S2B! ).

1. Using the USB board (XBIB-U-Dev rev 3), X-CTU 5.2.5.0 & Windoze XP, SP3
  2. Close X-CTU, disconnect the board
  3. Power on the board
  4. Open X-CTU
  5. On the PC-Settings tab:
    5.1 Set Baud Rate to 38400
    5.2 Select “No baud Change”
  6. Click Test/Query - this will fail with the “action required” dialog… - close it when it comes up (do not follow the instructions on the dialog)
  7. Click “OK” to the “cannot find modem” dialog
  8. On the PC-Settings tab:
    8.1 Set Baud Rate to 9600
    8.2 Un-select “No baud Change”
  9. Click Test/Querry - Success!
  10. On Modem Configuration Tab – click “read” – Success!

This has worked well for me (for two days, anyway) – I’d be interested in knowing if this works others as well. Please reply to this thread if this approach works for you.

[credit ]-- this procedure is a short version of this approach that doesn’t require inserting the module while the board is ‘hot’

Thanks for posting that! You’re quite right in saying that it’s a frequently reported problem.

Over on the 802.15.4 forum I maintain the FAQ (see pinned posts there) which has some suggestions on how to overcome this sort of problem. I’ve added your recipe to the list, on the grounds that if it works for you it must surely be useful for someone else. In principle the FAQ is only for 802.15.4 but in practice most of the questions apply to XBees in general.

I hope you’ll be happy with my use of your words. If not, you have only to tell me and I’ll remove the reference.

Thanks again for the contribution.

… I’ve added your recipe to the list, on the grounds that if it works for you it must surely be useful for someone else. …

…I hope you’ll be happy with my use of your words. If not, you have only to tell me and I’ll remove the reference. …

No guarantees that this will work – YMMV, as they say.
In point of fact, one reason for posting is to find out if it’s working for anyone else … [hint]
I’d like to know if it works for others, since the ‘fact’ that it’s working for me right now could, in principle, be an artifact of some sort – “this” batch of resistors, the specific (non-Digi) S/W loaded on my laptop, or similar GKW factor.

Agreed, and it would be nice to hear user reports about any of these recipes. I can’t comment myself because I’m one of the lucky ones who’ve never needed to use them - I just collect them in the FAQ on the grounds that if one doesn’t work in a particular case the next one might.