profile selection

I’m working with a device that typically connects to a PC as a PPP client and sends and receives TCP and UDP traffic over serial. Can the PortServer TS be inserted in the middle? What profile would this use?

Thanks in advance.

The Portserver TS supports ppp. There are a number of articles in our knowledge base which discuss the various capabilities and how to configure for ppp, as well as in the User’s Guide. To find the articles in the kbase, just do a keyword search on ppp.

There is also information in the TS Family User’s Guide. Check page 49 at the following link:

http://ftp1.digi.com/support/documentation/90000583_J.pdf

No luck. It never gets listed as an active PPP connection, but I can’t tell what the problem is.

I went through the PPP configuration wizard and configured it as an incoming PPP connection. The serial settings (baud, stop bits, parity, flow control) are correct, and the username and password are set to what the device will try login with on PPP. After the connection failed the first time, I found that the wizard had added the port to the list to use a dialer script, so I deselected the port from that list. It still failed.

On Windows I configure the “modem” as a cable between 2 computers and set up “accept incoming connections” under network connections, and it works. Linux is a little more complicated because it needs a chat script to respond with “CLIENTSERVER” after the device says “CLIENT”. Could that be the issue here?

I guess it all depends where “CLIENT” comes from. Is that something generated by your app?

It comes from the serial device. From what I understand, it’s a Microsoft-specific piece of the PPP initialization.