programming modules w/o devkit

Is it possible to program the modules without a full developer kit? E.g. only serial development board from drop in networking devkit which I have. I don’t need debugging for tiny projects.
Can I find the protocol used for program transfer somewhere, and is it plain text to transfer or a compiled pyc or … ?

Thanks
Klemens

You can develop without a debugger. Not very recommended, since debugging could take quite a bit more time.
I hope this is more of a hobby if you don’t want to get the debugger.

Download codewarrior as stated in the forum if you have XP.
Apparently it doesn’t work as well with the newer OS Win7. (crashes more often)

Compile the code into the bin file and upload with the new version of XCTU that has Xmodem capability.

All debug info will need to be spat out the UART or you can set one of the unused data lines. (This is why debugging takes longer, because you must recompile and upload in order to get new info out the UART)

If your code hangs, and you can’t get back into the bootloader. Use the hook stated in the manual. DTR checked, RTS not-checked, Break checked, and reset radio. Uncheck Break, and you should be back into the bootloader.

I’m afraid I didn’t understand well.
After making the code, the bin file must be sent using xctu.

What do you mean by “All debug info will need to be spat out the UART or you can set one of the unused data lines. (This is why debugging takes longer, because you must recompile and upload in order to get new info out the UART)”?

How can I do that without he debugger?

Tks

Hi Danilo,

What CodePost means is that without a debugger all the debugging process must be done by printing data through the UART (i.e: variables’ values, pointers, etc.) or by setting/clearing pins (because you cannot read the memory while running). This makes the debugging process take longer.

Thanks for the feedback.

I use a lot this forum, because there are valuable information here, specially if you are not very experienced with this modules.

I’ve been searching a lot about how to put my application while keeping bootloader intact, i mean, to keep it available so I can call the bootloader menu on my app to keeo the OTA application download.

What I didi’t understand yet is how to flash my app without overwriting the bootloader.

I don’t have the debugger yet, and I’m sending my app OTA, but once I sent it, the debugger is not available anymore.

My doubt is Am I overwriting the bootloader when flashing the app OTA or Am I just not considering a routine on my app to call bootloader back when needed?

Thanks in advance.

Danilo

Welcome back, Danilo!

If you are uploading you application through XMODEM there is no way that the bootloader is overwriting itself. However, when there is a valid application the bootloader menu doesn’t show, you must use the mechanism that is described in Help->Help Contents->XBee Extensions User’s Guide->10. Tips & Tricks->10.1 Getting back into the bootloader, that also CodePost mentioned:

Use the hook stated in the manual. DTR checked, RTS not-checked, Break checked, and reset radio. Uncheck Break, and you should be back into the bootloader.

Also, in Help->Help Contents->XBee Extensions User’s Guide->10. Tips & Tricks->10.6 Flashing a programmable XBee application via XModem
is explained how to flash through the UART using that method to access the bootloader locally instead of “over the air”, I would recommend that method because is much faster than OTA.

Finally, there is a new version of PXBee SDK (1.5.5), available here, with more examples, drivers and services (and it simplifies much more the OTA Update!).

Sebastian,

That’s exactly what I was suspecting.
I’ll check the documentation you mentioned, and test my application.

I’ m already using the new sdk version, which has a very good documentation embedded.

Many thanks, again.

Danilo