S2 v1247 PAN ID only goes to 0x3FFF, MY stuck at 0xFFFE

I bought some XBee Pro S2 modules from Digikey and they report firmware version 1247. The PAN ID responds with ‘ERROR’ for values above 0x3FFF. My manual says IDs are okay up to FFFF which is consistent with my older S1 modules that report v10E6 and accept IDs up to 0XFFFF.

Both modules report DH and DL = 0. The S1 module reports MY=0 and the MY module reports MY=FFFE and it won’t accept 0 (I don’t know if this MY issue is relevant, the ID issue is the thing I need to solve.)

Am I missing something with these ‘S2’ modules? Is there a different manual than for the S1? Or did I get a batch of S2 modules with bogus firmware in them?

Series 1 and series 2 models are totally different. There’s no way they can communicate with each other. So when you say

Am I missing something with these ‘S2’ modules? Is there a different manual than for the S1?

well, sorry, but the answer just has to be “yes”. They’re completely different.

Series 2 models run either ZNet2.5 or Zigbee firmware. The Zigbee firmware is the newer version, and as far as I understand it’'s the recommended solution for new projects using series 2 modules.

The big difference (IMHO) is that with series 2 modules you get built-in routing - you can build a network where nodes can communicate via other nodes instead of having to be in direct range of each other. The downside of that is that it involves a steeper learning curve.

I bought some XBee Pro S2 modules from Digikey and they report firmware version 1247.

So you got Series2 modules with “old” ZNet2.5 firmware.
Please update them to ZB firmware free downloadable from the Digi Support website (select XBee ZB OEM modul).

After that make sure you have the corresponsing correct product manual for this firmware (2x64) and use it.

After that you should be fine.