Watchport Manager as a service

I saw some talk of running Wathport Manager as a service in a later version. Is that available yet? I’ve just downloaded build 119 from your site, but have yet to install it with my Watchport/H sensors. Watchport Manager is running on a server that may or may not be logged in and also may be logged in remotely too. Please let me know if you have any advice on this set up.

thanks1
Matt

Matt,

Hi, no, our WP manager program still does not run as service. I do have a version 1.23 which does fix a lot of email notification bugs if you’re interested.

Feel free to email me at mikes@digi.com I would be more than happy to send it to you.

Best regards,

Mike Swift

Is Watchport Manager as a service available yet?

Hi,

Please email watchportservice@digi.com

I’ll get you a small questionnaire to fill out. The beta will be available on 2/27/09

Best regards,
Mike S

Is there already a fix date when the “watchport run as service - thing” will be available?

It’s in a beta phase now. I’m not sure of the release date for the final release. Let me know if you’re interested in beta testing.

I responded to the beta email that was sent to me a month ago. Are you still accepting new bets testers?

Thanks!
Matt

Yes, we are. Send an e-mail to watchportservice at digi.com if you’re interested.

What I was saying is that I sent you an email a month ago. I received a form that I filled out and emailed it back to you. I never heard back. I’ll email you again though.

Is this software available yet. I just installed the watchport manager and I have to leave the RDP session hung to keep the sensor monitoring?

Watchport Manager is the software that we’ve been offering for years now. It works well but has a limitation of not being able to run as a service. In other words, the user account must stay logged in for it to continue running.

We tried modifying Watchport Manager to run as a service but realized that it was a better idea to “start from scratch” and make different software, specifically designed around being able to run as a service.

So now we have other newer software that we are calling SensorServ (for now, at least). SensorServ is now in the beta phase and anyone is welcome to help us beta test it. Just send an e-mail to watchportservice (at) digi.com and we’ll give you the necessary download link and instructions.

*** Please do not e-mail us any more about SensorServ ***

The information below is the “final note” on this project/topic.

===

Thanks for your interest in beta testing SensorServ! SensorServ is intended to eventually replace Watchport Manager. The main feature of SensorServ is that it runs as a Windows Service, since Watchport Manager does not offer that feature. Unfortunately, there are currently no plans for future development of SensorServ, however that may change in the future.

*** Please note that SensorServ is BETA software and should thus be treated “as is”. ***

===

Installation instructions:

1. Make sure you have the latest Microsoft .NET Framework and Service Pack installed before proceeding.

2. Make sure the Watchport Sensor(s) you plan to use with SensorServ is connected to the PC and installed. Watchport Sensors use the Edgeport driver, which you can download here, if needed:

http://ftp1.digi.com/support/driver/40002537_h.exe

To confirm the sensor is installed, launch the Edgeport Configuration Utility from the start menu, in the Digi USB program group. All Watchport Sensors that are attached and installed should be listed in the white area under the General tab.

1. Create a folder on your hard drive called “sensorserv”. i.e. “c:\sensorserv”

2. Download the following file:

ftp://austin:!15st3n!@ftp1.digi.com/support/SensorService/SensorService_v0.7.0.4.zip

1. Extract the contents into the “c:\sensorserv” folder.

2. If you have our Watchport Manager software installed, be sure to close it and stop it from auto-starting, before proceeding. These two programs cannot be run at the same time.

3. Launch ServiceConfig.exe. It should detect all attached Watchport sensors. Click the blue-colored “Install Service” button at the top-left to install the SensorServ service. You must agree to the EULA in order to install the service.

4. Go through the tabs and configure as needed (see Notes just below for what isn’t yet supported), then click the Save and Exit button. Choose Yes to start the service, when prompted.

===

Configuration instructions and other notes:

A. ServiceConfig.exe should only be used when the SensorServ service is stopped If you need to make configuration changes, be sure to first Stop the service (start, Run, “services.msc” and look for SensorServ). You would then click the Save and Exit button in ServiceConfig.exe and choose Yes to start the service, when prompted. We plan to make a change in the future so that the SensorServ service does not have to be stopped in order to make configuration changes.

B. Group Management (the “Manage Groups” tab) is not yet supported and will be in a future release.

C. To send alert e-mails to multiple recipients, use a comma (no space) to separate “to” e-mail addresses.

D. We don’t yet have a user manual. However, the options in the Configurator program should be mostly self explanatory. Still, if you have any questions, please let us know and we’ll be glad to help.

E. At this time, SensorServ supports the following Watchport Sensors: Watchport/D - Distance or Proximity combo sensor, Watchport/H - Humidity & Temperature combo sensor, and Watchport/T - Temperature sensor.

F. Currently, the only kinds of alerts that are available are e-mail alerts (compared to Watchport Manager, which offers phone alerts, etc.).

G. Most users will be mainly interested in getting e-mail alerts sent when a temperature threshold has been crossed, i.e. the temperature is too high. In order for this to happen, go to the “Alert Settings” tab in ServiceConfig.exe and CHECK “Out of range” in the “Send Alerts For:” section at the top-right. Of course, the SMTP server information also needs to be filled out.

H. To see the current status of a sensor, go to the “Sensor Discovery” tab of the Configurator program (ServiceConfig.exe), right-click on the sensor, then choose the menu option to show the status. You may need to click the “Show Advanced” button to do this.

I. To see the history, go to the “Service Options” tab of the Configurator program and check “Comma Delimited (.CSV)” in the Output To section. The default “C:\WPS_Output.csv” folder/file name can be changed, if needed.

J. The 0.7.0.4 version above was tested fairly extensively by Digi and customers. Because of that, it’s the version we recommend using. However, a newer 0.8.0.0 version was released afterwards, which did not get tested much since the SensorServ beta program was halted around that time. Still, you are welcome to try the newer 0.8.0.0 version by downloading the two files below and then copying and pasting them over the existing two files, overwriting them. Be sure to first stop the SensorServ Service.

ftp://austin:!15st3n!@ftp1.digi.com/support/SensorService/0.8.0.0/SensorServ.exe
ftp://austin:!15st3n!@ftp1.digi.com/support/SensorService/0.8.0.0/ServiceConfig.exe

Hi, i just installed 0.8.00 and everything seemed fine. I tested humidity by entering a higher max value and i got a email alert after 5min. Unfortunately email alert does not work for temperature. I tried max values for Fahrenheit and Celsius.

I also need to install the service manually in windows 2008R2. I will try version 7.0 see if that works

EDIT: have the same problem with version 7.0.4. No alerts for temperatur only humidity

Hello. Are you still looking for a solution to this?? If so or even if you’re just looking for software for your wired USB Watchport sensors, please say so in this thread.

Please drop a note here in this thread and I’ll try to watch.

There was a beta program that was started for the Watchport Manager service, but has since been discontinued and is no longer supported.

could you please give us access to these files again

ftp://austin:!15st3n!@ftp1.digi.com/support/S...ce/0.8.0.0/SensorServ.exe
ftp://austin:!15st3n!@ftp1.digi.com/support/S...0.8.0.0/ServiceConfig.exe

thanks
David

Apologies for the delay in my reply. We were having forum notification issues.

Regarding FTP, our FTP site changed recently.

Here are the new links, a requested:

ftp://jmcbane_ro:1readonly!@digiftp.digi.com/SensorServ.exe
ftp://jmcbane_ro:1readonly!@digiftp.digi.com/ServiceConfig.exe

Has anyone had problem registering service. I attempt it using serviceconfig and window pops up and I hit agree and nothing happens, window just sits there. Using Win 7 x64.

Yes, netadmincrm… I’m having same issue with XP SP3 system that I’m testing on

Can I get the updated FTP address to the version 0.7 software?
OLD address: ftp://austin:!15st3n!@ftp1.digi.com/support/SensorService/SensorService_v0.7.0.4.zip

Thank you.

Hello, Digi International is no longer supporting this service. However, if you’re still interested in getting this service to work, or would like the latest software, I would love to hear from you! Please post a message to the following: http://micronate.wordpress.com/

Thanks,
Nathan