Xbee S2C DigiMesh Encryption seems broken, Firmware 9000

I’m trying to set up a secure network with a few Xbee S2Cs. I set up a small test with XCTU that has two nodes in transparent mode - one DH/DL set to broadcast the other set to the first node’s MAC. In console mode I set the two nodes to simply transmit their name every 200ms.

With no encryption, the packets are making it to both devices no problem. WHen I switch to encrypted mode, the broadcast packet makes it to the 2nd device, but the unicast packet from the 2nd to the first doesn’t make it. I only see random characters sometimes, but not the correct characters or at the expected rate.

If I switch the broadcast / unicast roles, the broadcast is still the only direction that works.