Edgeport/1 USB 3.0 Support

When will the driver with USB 3.0 support be released?

We are a large volume user of the Edgeport/1 and are now beginning to run into more widespread issues with customers who have new PC hardware equipped with USB 3.0.

The v5.30 driver installs fine and shows no outward sign of malfunction, but the PC will either blue screen on attempt to connect to the Edgeport’s COM port, or it will not accept/return commands from the connected serial device. We have had to use an alternate vendor for these cases but would like to avoid moving away from the Edgeport product.

There was a thread from last year where a beta driver with USB 3.0 support was posted: http://forums.digi.com/support/forum/viewthread_thread,9007 but the link is now dead and there has been no further activity in that thread.

Thanks for your attention!

I am also wondering what the status is on this, or if I could simply get a link for the beta driver. My company uses edgeports to control several of our devices and it’s becoming increasingly difficult to get laptops that even have a USB 2.0 port.

I don’t see Digi coming out with a USB 3.0 driver specifically for the Edgeport! The serial devices connected to Edgeports will not benefit from the speed, which is why we never came out with a USB2.0 version. USB devices should to be backward compatible, which is why you could still use the Edgeport on a USB 2.0 controller.

There were some previous posts concerning compatibility issues seen when using the Edgeport with a USB3.0 controller, but a new driver was posted that was suposed to take care of the issue. If you have this driver and are still experiecing problems, then you’re most likely running into issues we have not yet diagnosed.

In the past, when USB2.0 came out, PC manufacturers would include USB 1.x and USB2.0 ports. I’m not sure if they are doing that with USB2.0 and USB 3.0 these days, but I would look in your Device Manager (or PC user’s manual) to make sure.

I completely agree with there being no benefits to running this on USB 3.0, it is really only the lack of USB 2.0 ports that concerns me.

I have tried the latest driver I could find, 40002537_v5.32.1, and have tested it with both the /1 and the /1i. The devices install fine, but as soon as I try and communicate with them my computer blue screens. It is a Dell XPS 15 (Ivybridge Chipset HM77 Express) and only has USB 3.0 ports. Any support or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I completely agree with there being no benefits to running this on USB 3.0, it is really only the lack of USB 2.0 ports that concerns me.

I have tried the latest driver I could find, 40002537_v5.32.1, and have tested it with both the /1 and the /1i. The devices install fine, but as soon as I try and communicate with them my computer blue screens. It is a Dell XPS 15 (Ivybridge Chipset HM77 Express) and only has USB 3.0 ports. Any support or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My point exactly! We have begun migrating our customers over to a Gigaware model that works where the Digi product has let us down for the last 5+ months.

We are seeing more and more PCs coming out now with only USB3.0, and Digi’s answer of “well it should work” doesn’t cut it.

There is a known bug in the current release (v5.30) of the Edgeport driver for Windows that can result in bluescreens. We have determined that it’s related to computers with USB 3.0 ports. Some customers have reported being able to work around the issue by using a USB 2.0 port instead, but not always. Also, some computers only have USB 3.0 ports, so using a USB 2.0 port isn’t an option.

This issue has been resolved in a newer Edgeport driver. We’re currently waiting on getting that newer driver released. I will try to get an ETA from our Product Manager on this and then provide an update here.

Thanks Jeremy! I look forward to the update.

Hi jeremy,

I have also some trouble with the edgeport and the usb 3. But it’s little weird on some computer the driver 5.30 work well (Win8 asus) but on the other (dell :frowning: :frowning: :() ) it’s not work. And I need to have a date for your next driver. I’m be glad.

Have a nice day

Update:

The Edgeport driver v5.70, which was released back in February 2016, resolved the known BSOD (“bluescreen”) issue.

As of today (December 2017), the current release of the Edgeport driver is still v5.70. I can be downloaded here:

http://ftp1.digi.com/support/driver/40002537_J.exe