Edgeport/22c on redhat RHE4 linux

Any tips for getting any edgeport/22c running under redhat enterprise linux 4? I was under the impression that all I had to do was plug it in. But, when I do, I don’t see any /dev/ttyUSB ports.

Doing a cat /proc/bus/usb/devices shows the edgeport listed, but the listing says “Driver=(none)”

Any help is much appreciated…

If your Red Hat EL4 computer is running a 2.6 kernel, then you should be able to use the Edgeport after just plugging it in.

If you’re running a 2.4 kernel, however, a driver package must be installed.

You can check what kind of kernel your system is running by issuing the command “uname -a”.

Try “modprobe io_ti” which will force the kernel to load the io_to driver.

Then, “echo 1 > /sys/module/io_ti/parameters/debug” which should turn on debugging.

Plug in the Edgeport/22c and see if it works.

If it still doesn’t work:

1. Send me the /var/log/messages from the modprobe, through plugging in and testing the device, to unplugging it again.

2. Give me the full output of “uname -a”.

3. Run “find /lib/modules -name io_ti.ko” and send me the output.

I’m seeing the exact same behavior on RHEL4 Update 4 x86-64 - no /dev/ttyUSB* devices and no message about “Edgeport USB Serial Driver”. The same Watchport/H sensor works fine on SLES10. Is there an RPM for this driver?

Message was edited by: pogo

Message was edited by: pogo

The RHEL 4 2.6.9 kernel is a very old kernel, from the fall of 2004, and the Edgeport drivers in that kernel did not support the Edgeport/22c or the Watchport sensors.

Options for resolution:

1. Upgrade to a 2.6.10 or later kernel.

2. Ask Red Hat to update the RHEL 4 kernel with the latest Edgeport drivers.

3. Try to do #2 yourself with http://www.brimson.com/downloads/io_src_2.6.9_10_4_04.tgz

The files in this package should replace the files of the same names in the linux kernel sources drivers/usb/serial directory. Then, rebuild and re-install the Edgeport drivers.

(Building and installing kernel drivers may be a complicated process, dependent on your distro and setup.)

Yes, I’m running the 2.6 kernel.

Should I be seeing /dev/ttyUSB devices?

Here’s what cat /proc/bus/usb/devices reports about the edgeport. That driver=(none) line looks odd.

T: Bus=02 Lev=02 Prnt=02 Port=02 Cnt=01 Dev#= 3 Spd=12 MxCh= 0
D: Ver= 1.10 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=00 Prot=ff MxPS= 8 #Cfgs= 1
P: Vendor=1608 ProdID=021d Rev= 0.01
S: Manufacturer=Digi International
S: Product=Edgeport/22c
S: SerialNumber=V70010750-0
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=e0 MxPwr= 0mA
I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 5 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=00 Prot=ff Driver=(none)
E: Ad=81(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=01(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=82(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=02(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=87(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS= 8 Ivl=1ms

Yes, two device nodes should be created for an Edgeport/22c:

/dev/ttyUSB0
/dev/ttyUSB1

What is the color/activity of the System Status LED?

Try installing that Edgeport/22c on a Windows XP computer, to see if the problem is due to defective hardware.

(Thanks for your quick replies!)

On the linux system, the edgeport LED was flashing green.

I tried installing it on an XP system, and it worked perfectly.

Unplug the Edgeport then issue the command “tail -f /var/log/messages” and plug it back in. Do you see “Edgeport USB Serial Driver” followed by a version?

Although it will probably give you the same information, look in dmesg too (issue the command “dmesg | more” and press space until you get to the end) then look for the version of “Edgeport USB Serial Driver”.

If possible, copy/paste the related text here.

Here’s the log output. I unplugged it at 14:20 and plugged it backup at 14:22. (dmesg contained the same info.)

Feb 26 14:20:17 mayne kernel: usb 2-1: USB disconnect, address 4
Feb 26 14:20:17 mayne kernel: usb 2-1.3: USB disconnect, address 5
Feb 26 14:22:25 mayne kernel: usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using address 6
Feb 26 14:22:25 mayne kernel: hub 2-1:1.0: USB hub found
Feb 26 14:22:25 mayne kernel: hub 2-1:1.0: 3 ports detected
Feb 26 14:22:26 mayne kernel: usb 2-1.3: new full speed USB device using address 7

What is the result of this command:

ls -al /dev/ttyU*

[root@mayne ~]# ls -al /dev/ttyU*
ls: /dev/ttyU*: No such file or directory

>> “I tried installing it on an XP system, and it worked perfectly.”

How exactly did you determine this? Did you see both Edgeport COM ports in Device Manager? Did you see both Edgeport COM ports in the Edgeport Configuration Utility?

I saw the edgeport com ports in the device manager. I didn’t try running the config utility.

FWIW, I’m running a new install of redhat enterprise 4, with all of their updates applied. The io_ti driver is on the system, but I don’t know enough about linux to say if it’s loaded and running.

What is the output of “lsmod”? io_ti should be listed there.

io_ti is NOT listed by lsmode.

The file io_ti.ko is present on the system.

Let me get some feedback from one of our Engineers.

Thanks in advance for your patience.

Bummer. Didn’t work. That is to say, after I plugged in the device, I found no /dev/ttyUSB ports.

Here’s the info you requested:

1. /var/log/message:

Mar 2 16:10:24 mayne kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for Generic
Mar 2 16:10:24 mayne kernel: usbcore: registered new driver usbserial_generic
Mar 2 16:10:24 mayne kernel: usbcore: registered new driver usbserial
Mar 2 16:10:24 mayne kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial Driver core v2.0
Mar 2 16:10:24 mayne kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for Edgeport TI 1 port adapter
Mar 2 16:10:24 mayne kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for Edgeport TI 2 port adapter
Mar 2 16:10:24 mayne kernel: usbcore: registered new driver io_ti
Mar 2 16:10:24 mayne kernel: drivers/usb/serial/io_ti.c: Edgeport USB Serial Driver v0.2
Mar 2 16:19:52 mayne kernel: usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using address 4
Mar 2 16:19:52 mayne kernel: hub 2-1:1.0: USB hub found
Mar 2 16:19:52 mayne kernel: hub 2-1:1.0: 3 ports detected
Mar 2 16:19:52 mayne kernel: usb 2-1.3: new full speed USB device using address 5

1. uname -a:

Linux mayne.sidell.org 2.6.9-42.0.8.ELsmp #1 SMP Tue Jan 23 13:01:26 EST 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

1. find:

/lib/modules/2.6.9-42.0.8.ELsmp/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/io_ti.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.9-5.EL/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/io_ti.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.9-5.ELsmp/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/io_ti.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.9-42.0.8.EL/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/io_ti.ko

pogo,

Thanks for the feedback.

Are you seeing this behavior also with an Edgeport/22c or a different model Edgeport?

No, this is with a Watchport/H device - but I’m assuming from other messages that it uses the same Edgeport USB to serial driver on Linux.
It just seems that Red Hat is not including the driver while SUSE/Novell is.
Edit: I spoke too soon, the driver is there, it’s just not connecting to the device. The /var/log/messages output is virtually identical to marksidell’s:
usb xxx: new full speed USB device using address x

P.S. there was no /sys/module/io_ti/parameters directory, but there was a value N for /sys/module/io_tio/debug. I changed that to Y but it had no effect on /var/log/message output