Hubport/4 question

I am considering using Hubport/4 in a test setup. The requirement is that in case the power to the hub is off, all the devices plugged into teh hub are powered off, even if the hub is connected to a 'live 'host USB interface.

To reiterate, when the AC is off, the HUB is expected to power off all interfaces no matter how little power the devices require or how capable the host is.

Can someone please confirm that Hubport/4 will meets this requirement?

Hello,

Exactly which model Hubport/4 are you interested in?

http://www.digi.com/products/usb/hubport.jsp#models

The /4c seems a good candidate.

I just want to be sure that it never tries drawing power from the host, no matter how light the load is. Basically, I want to be able to logically disconnect all devices from the host when the power on the hub is off.

The Hubport/4c should fit your requirement. This model is a self-powered USB hub, meaning that it’s intended to be used with the bundled power adapter. This model does NOT “drop down” to a bus-powered hub (powered from the USB port) when there is no power adapter attached, like some other USB hubs do.

I did a very simple test with one of these model hubs of connecting a USB optical mouse to the hub, and confirming that it worked when the power adapter was connected. The port LED that the mouse was connected to was solid green (as expected). I then disconnected the power adapter, and the mouse stopped working (no more red LED on the optical mouse; no mouse pointer movement or mouse clicks), and that port LED turned off (as expected when there is no device connected to that port).

I also watched Windows Device Manager (this test was performed on a Win XP SP3 machine) when I connected/disconnected the Hubport/4c to/from the PC (without a power adapter being used) and saw no changes, which suggests that the hub wasn’t being recognized by the Operating System.

So, in my opinion, this model hubport is worth trying for your project. However, I must make it clear that, since this product is intended to be used WITH a power adapter, the use of this product without a power adapter should be treated “as is” with no guarantees. Your results may vary. There may be some voltage/current leaking through those ports. How well it will work for you really depends on the specifics of your application and USB devices, so you’ll probably just have to try it out and see what happens.

Jeremy. thank you for your experiments, looks like it indeed is what I need, I’ll get one of those.

I was expecting to see some Digi representatives here who would know for sure, though :slight_smile:

Thanks for this :slight_smile:

Chiropractor

Hi Mates,

I am considering buying the Hubport/4c. Taking a glance at the data sheet and specs, its shows that it only provides the usb cables. Will the upstream cables be provided?

Thanks

drngsh,

All of our external Hubports come with a single upstream USB cable, to connect the Hubport to a PC.

Some of the models have a “captive” USB cable, which means the USB cable is permanently connected. Others have an upstream USB port where you can connect the bundled cable, or any other USB cable to.

Thank you for the knowledge jeremym…

Just to confirm what i understand from your post, that the hubport i am getting comes with the cable that comes with the 2 split ends?

drngsh,

Are you talking about the “pigtail” style power cable? If so, that cable only comes with DC style Hubports, such as the Hubport/4c DC (P/N 301-1010-44). DC style Hubports are intended for mobile applications where you provide your own DC power source.

The “standard” Hubport/4c (P/N 301-1010-45) comes with a traditional power adapter to connect to mains power.

http://www.digi.com/products/usb/hubport.jsp#models

Yes, im looking at the 301-1010-44… i am currently working on a Linux machine and hope to use this to stream data via the port to the I/O ports in RCM5600w…