Quick starter guide.. please help

I already followed the quick starter guide to run a range test… but why does i cant have successful range test.
When i connect the usb dev board the LED power is elluminated but once i attached the xbee the LEd power is blinking. is it normal? but why i cant have no response when i test the range in XCTU.? anyone please?thanks!

This is what I do for range testing.
For the range testing you need to connect two xbee. One that you connect to your PC - XCTU. The other xbee you attach it to one serial board and you connect to the serial board the Serial Loopback Tester that comes with the development kit.
The power blinking is fine. It is is the coordinator it will ( I think 1 per second) . If it is the router or end device it blinks faster (2 per second).
Hope this helps,
Regards

i already did that…
but still i cant run a successful range test.
once i start the xctu from range test. the LED green(upper of LED power)is also blinking but doesnt communicate well with the loopback tester. there is no signal from RSSI

Lets start by the begging.
2 Xbees

1st - Xbee

• make sure it is loaded with Coordinator firmware (AT commands)
  • Connect this xbee to the computer (thru USB or Serial port)
  • connect XCTU to this

2nd - Xbee

• you can load it with router or end device firmware
  • Make sure you have the serial test board attached to this xbee
  • attach loopback tester to this xbee ( serial port)

Now we can check the network
-In the AT Command screen of XCTU type ATND (or otherwise you should type any character and the loopback will print twice the character)

-2 possibilities for ATND command response:
a) You receive response from other xbee conected to the network.
If this happens the network seem to be ok. We need to debug other staff

b) You do not receive response from the other xbee connected to the network.
If this happens: Maybe this two xbees are not in the same PAN ID or they are using different channels. I usually set the PAN ID 's of Xbees modules to one defined and also limit the scan channels to 2 or 3 channels so they can connect easily. (ej . ATID 123 , ATSC E, ATWR for both xbees)

Hope this helps

the LED is blinking 2 per second so does it mean it is not set as coordinator?from modem config coordiator enable it is END DEVICE.
how can i load firmwarE? in the modem configuration?
and if i load it. how about the xbee from rs232 board for loopback?

Message was edited by: dioxden08

modem:XB24
function set: 802.15.4
version: 1084
i set my modem from usb board to coordinator and it blinks 1 per second already but still i cant manage to run a successful test range. the rs232 board Power LED doesnt blink. power LED and data out LED of rs232 board is on.they are in the same PAN ID. what might be the problem? should i needed to configure the addressing? the value i set is 1st xbee dh=0 dL=2 my=1. 2nd xbee = dh=0 dl=1 my=2.

Hi dioxden08,
If it doesn’t blink , then it is not connected to the zigbee network but to make sure you can execute ATND as I mentioned in last msg.
In the last msg I sent, I included some points you didn’t mention the response.

Now we can check the network
-In the AT Command screen of XCTU type ATND (after hit ENTER)

-2 possibilities for ATND command response:
a) You receive response from other xbee connected to the network.
If this happens the network seem to be ok. We need to debug other staff

b) You do not receive response from the other xbee connected to the network.
If this happens: Maybe these two xbees are not in the same PAN ID or they are using different channels. I usually set the PAN ID 's of Xbees modules to one defined and also limit the scan channels to 2 or 3 channels so they can connect easily. (eg . ATID 123, ATSC E, ATWR for both xbees)

In case you do not receive response, you need to execute the commands I wrote before(for both xbees):
ATID 123
ATSC E
ATWR

Make sure you read chapter 4. XBee ZNet 2.5 Networks, this will help you to understand the commands and also understand the overall functioning.

Note: Turn on the coordinator first and then the router or end device

Excuse me for jumping in on this one, but I see you’re referring to the series 2.5 guide. This is the series 1 forum, so in watching this thread I was assuming that’s what the original poster has. Worth confirming maybe?

John, you are right. Dioxden08, check chapters :
2.3. XBee/XBee-PRO Networks
3.3. Command Descriptions

of XBee™/XBee-PRO™ OEM RF Modules - 802.15.4 Protocol

I already ch@t live and i guess my problem is in my RS-232 board or in the module because it cant write firmware using RS-232 board

I seem to recall a posting here where a similar problem was eventually diagnosed as a faulty serial port. So before giving up on this one, and if you haven’t tried this already, it’d be worth trying a different port or (better) a different computer.

thanks guys! for your reply it is a great help! thanks!

Hi

I do a range test at was succesfully, later i try to discover the xbee device (the one connected to the PC through the usb) changing its PAN ID, and SC to be the same as my gateway, later i try to do again the range test with the developtment kit (to see that all works fine) but the ATND didn’t work, i restore the default settings just in case with the ATRE and ATWR command, and try again to do the node discovery but nothing.

I would really be grateful if someone help, i too worried about this i don’t know if i’m misssing something

Another thing that is worrying me is that the zigbee antenna that comes on the kit with the magnet maybe damage the devices.

Thanks in advance

Balart40,

Which gateway and RF modules do you have? The XBee 802.15.4 or Znet 2.5/ZB?

Hi:

I have the coonectport znet 2.5 to ethernet (X4-B11-E-A)

thanks in advance

Hi i already solve the problem, even when i do the ATRE and ATWR command to the coordinator (the one connected to the pc through the USB cable [XB24-BWIT-002] which is a xbee series 2) i have to reset the network of the other xbee devices with the ATNR command. But now i have other problem, right now i’m trying to recognize the xbee devices (in this case the coordinator with the usb to the pc) with my gateway from the web interface i check the PAN ID and Channel of the xbee device which is 0x234 (pan id) and 0x14(channel)

so i modified that parameters on the gateway as well in order to recognize that xbee device on the configuration>xbee network

Extended PAN identifier (ID): 0x0000000000000234
Initial PAN identifier (II): 0x0000
Scan Channels (SC): 0x0200
Zigbee Stack Profile (ZS): 2 (i change it from 0)

Then on the system information>xbee network the parameters apperar:

PAN ID: 0x0000 - 0x0000000000000234
Channel: 0x14

To check with the xbee series 2 coordinator attached with the pc with the usb cable, i write this commands:

ATSC
response: 1FFE
ATCH
ATID
ATOP
ATZS
ERROR

So i think im right with the PAN ID and channel i don’t know why the ZS (zigbee stack profile command) doesn’t work cause it should, or should i do another ATNR command or whay i’m missing?

thanks in advance and for the preevious quick response

Balart40,

The ZS command allows one to choose which ZigBee standard to use. It only supports values between 0 - 2. If you are having issues with setting this, I would recommend looking at the product manual first and then setting the proper value through a terminal program or the modem configuration tab of X-CTU.

Hi:

Cause the ATZS command doesn’t work i updated the firmware of my xbee device (the one connected with USB to PC)but before work with the gateway i try to see if the firmware works fine, the ATZS command now work (im using firmware XB24-ZB xigbee coordinator version 2064)then since the new firmware have another default values (PAN ID, channel, etc) i reset my other xbee devices with the ATNR and ATRE command (i dont now if i should done the ATFR command to) so, i do a ATND (node discovery command) with my coordinator with new firmware version and my other device (and xbee pro series 2 XBP24-ZB firmware version 1247) doesn’t start blinking, or response so i don’t receive anything when i do the ATND command.

Another doubt is how i reset the firmware of my xbee device, i updated from i file but now i at least want to see it working with the previous firmware version, how i restore the default firmware cause with ATRE i can’t.

Thanks in advace