Virtual machine not re-connecting to USBAnywhere/2

Hello,

We have a USBAnywhere/2 box connected to a VMWare-Based virtual machine sitting locally running Windows XP 32bit with the appropriate drivers as per your KB-article. I’ve also updated the box firmware and the windows drivers to the latest rev available.

Whenever the power to the USBAnywhere box goes down at all, the windows machine doesn’t properly reconnect to the box and won’t even allow me to manually reconnect until I reboot the windows machine. Rebooting the USB box does nothing.

In the AnywhereUSB Remote Hub Configuration Utility, it can see the box, the USB icon is colored green, I can reboot it and access the web GUI (which says there are no active connections). But the status window says it’s connecting, the connect/disconnect button is greyed out and the Event Log button doesn’t work. The Utility still believes it’s connected even thou the box says otherwise…

Hello,

1. Does this issue still happen if you disable Windows Firewall, and any 3rd party firewall or anti-virus software?

2. Does this issue still happen if there are no USB devices connected to the AnywhereUSB?

3. What is the maximum amount of time that you’ve waited to see if the AnywhereUSB would eventually connect to the virtual machine?

4. Is this issue particular to this virtual machine, or does it still happen if you connect the AnywhereUSB to a different computer? (If you test this, be sure to first remove the AnywhereUSB’s IP address from the Connection List (Edit / Connection List) from the virtual machine.

Hello,

1. Does this issue still happen if you disable Windows Firewall, and any 3rd party firewall or anti-virus software?

2. Does this issue still happen if there are no USB devices connected to the AnywhereUSB?

3. What is the maximum amount of time that you’ve waited to see if the AnywhereUSB would eventually connect to the virtual machine?

4. Is this issue particular to this virtual machine, or does it still happen if you connect the AnywhereUSB to a different computer? (If you test this, be sure to first remove the AnywhereUSB’s IP address from the Connection List (Edit / Connection List) from the virtual machine.

Hello,

1. Yes.
  2. Not sure yet, will test.
  3. Two days or so?
  4. It happens to all three virtual machines that are currently using a AnywhereUSB device.

Additional/Corrected information:

It happens when there is a power ‘dip’ to the AnywhereUSB box, not even an actual power outage and the uptime counter is unaffected. Rebooting the AnywhereUSB box doesn’t fix anything. The RealPortUSB ‘devices’ & the connected USB device are still in the Device Manager even if there’s no actual connection but if I try to access them I just get varying errors like “Can’t open the serial port!”

OK, please let me know about #2 if/when you get that info.

I see that the AWUSB/2 is configured with a static IP. To rule out a potential static IP address conflict (it’s probably not the case but worth ruling out), re-configure the AWUSB with a different IP address that you’re certain isn’t already in use by another device on the network. Then try to re-create this issue, and let me know how that goes.

I see that the Uptime of the unit is 5 days, which suggests that the unit hasn’t been power cycled or been rebooted in 5 days. With that being said, what exactly do you mean by “power dip”?

The next time you observe the issue, before you reboot the windows machine, note the color and activity of ALL of the LEDs on the unit. Specifically, the System Status LED, the two Port LEDs, and the Link and Act LEDs on the network interface. And share that info with me.

Hello,

I’m having the same problem.

We’re in a Network

Data Center
Server : 10.9.1.1
Router : 10.9.130

PLC Location:
Router: 10.9.1.103
Anywhere UBS: 192.168.10.240 (NATted in Router) with UPS backup

After about 10 request time outs (1 minute) our application doesn’t see the USB license anymore

On the Server in de Anywhere USB configuration it states in the status bar :

Total Discovered:1
Connected to me: 1

The remote HUB is colored GREEN saying ready to connect. I can’t disconnect en reconnect. Also after REBOOT same status.

In the WEBUI it states no active connections.

Only a REBOOT of the server solves the problem.

This situation FREEZES our programm. Also we have static IP address and NO conflict…

What is wrong:

Firmware Anywhere_USB_FW_82002116_E.dwn already loaded!!

Hello,

I’m having the same problem.

We’re in a Network

Data Center
Server : 10.9.1.1
Router : 10.9.130

PLC Location:
Router: 10.9.1.103
Anywhere UBS: 192.168.10.240 (NATted in Router) with UPS backup

After about 10 request time outs (1 minute) our application doesn’t see the USB license anymore

On the Server in de Anywhere USB configuration it states in the status bar :

Total Discovered:1
Connected to me: 1

The remote HUB is colored GREEN saying ready to connect. I can’t disconnect en reconnect. Also after REBOOT same status.

In the WEBUI it states no active connections.

Only a REBOOT of the server solves the problem.

This situation FREEZES our programm. Also we have static IP address and NO conflict…

What is wrong:

Firmware Anywhere_USB_FW_82002116_E.dwn already loaded!!

Refer to KBase

http://www.digi.com/support/kbase/kbaseresultdetl?id=1031

And also

http://www.digi.com/support/kbase/kbaseresultdetl?id=1061