XBP24-ZB Bricked after firmware upgrade from AT to API


I have 3 XBEE pro series 2 modules (XBP24-ZB) each connected to an arduino shield and an arduino. I had no problems communicating 1-to-1 using transparent mode but cannot switch the firmware to API.

  1. The first XBEE (used to be co-ordinator) appears to have bricked. XCTU won’t load it, at all. Tried all the methods on this forum and other websites including bridging RST+GND, but nothing seems to work. I get error messages that

  2. The second XBEE (one of the routers) loads perfectly well but as soon as I try to access firmware I get:


I try to perform the firmware change to API, but I don’t get anything. At least this still loads with the old parameters.

Besides being incredibly pissed at ruining one expensive XBEE, when I followed everything to the letter and will have to pay for a new one, I still can’ understand what is going on, and moreover I need this finished as soon as possible, and I can’t seem to switch AT to API.

My questions:

  1. Is there any other way to try and recover the module besides XCTU’s recovery which is completely useless?
  2. How can I ultimately successfully switch from AT to API? Did anyone else encounter my problems?

Thanks and regards,


William, interface board should have hardware flow control lines available for successful firmware upgrade.

As this is not the case with Arduino boards, first optimize USB setting of system;

then recover modules using old XCTU and recovery guide:



1 Like

Thank you so much for your help. Sorry it took me some time to reply but I ordered an XBEE explorer before I tried what you suggested.

In short this is what I did, based on your answer:

  1. Bought an XBEE explorer (for hardware control lines)
  2. Installed XCTU on my old Windows computer (was using MAC when firmware upgrade failed)
  3. Installed Driver & checked settings in device manager.
  4. There was no need to even recover, just installed Router & Coordinator API on XBEES and all worked properly.

Thank you!