windows 8.1 code 38

AnywhereUSB/14 Problem driver windows 8.1 x64 after switching off and switching on.
Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still in memory. (Code 38)

1 Like

Same problem here.

The first time I connect to a Remote Hub in AnywhereUSB, the new “USB Serial Port (COM#)” shows up in “Ports (COM & LPT)” in Windows Device Manager. In this case, I can connect to remote serial terminals with no problems.

But if I disconnect in AnywhereUSB and try reconnecting, the COM port doesn’t come back. Instead, there’s a “RealPortUSB Host Controller - 0” device with a yellow warning symbol on it in the “Universal Serial Bus controllers” section of Device Manager.

The driver for the broken device is AwVUsbD64.sys and the status is
“Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still in memory. (Code 38)”

Rebooting sometimes fixes the problem, but it’s more reliable to uninstall the drivers, reboot, and reinstall.

System info -
Digi RealPortUSB Multi-Host Hub, 14 Port
Windows 8 (6.2.9200) 64b
HP EliteBook 840 G1
BIOS: HP L71 Ver 1.31, 3/24/2015
AnywhereUSB Package: 40002668_M.exe
AwVUsbD64.sys driver version 3.71.78.0

@ temask - What AWUSB driver and firmware versions are you running? What exactly do you mean by “after switching off and on”?

@ jrcalciano - What AWUSB firmware version are you running? It sounds like you have some kind of USB-to-serial converter (or a USB device that has a built-in converter) attached to the AWUSB/14. Do you still see this issue if you do not have that USB device connected to the AWUSB/14 (just for troubleshooting purposes)?

@jeremym - The remote hub is FW v1.81.1570.

And you’re right, it’s a USB-to-serial device on the other end. I can’t disconnect it right now, but I’ll try to get an answer to your question soon.

@jeremym - The same problem happens if I connect to the remote hub without any serial devices (or any devices at all) attached.

@ jrcalciano - Exactly how are you Disconnecting?

@jeremym - In the AnywhereUSB Remote Hub Configuration Utility GUI, I click on the “RealPortUSB Multi-Host Hub []” device in the left pane to highlight it, then click the “Disconnect” button in the upper left.

I’m unable to reproduce this issue. If it only happens when certain USB devices are attached then the issue could be related to / caused by the driver of that USB device (somehow, for some reason). If it still happens without any attached USB devices, that sounds like it’s more particular to the AWUSB (it’s driver and/or firmware) but it sounds very abnormal and something Digi would have likely seen before since disconnecting and connecting is so rudimentary.

I can only offer general suggestions at this point:

1. Uninstall the AWUSB driver, reboot the computer and re-install it.

2. Ensure that you’re launching the AWUSB Configuration Utility with Admin privileges, i.e. “Run as Administrator”.

3. Create a support ticket with Digi tech support.

@jeremym - A few people at our site are having the same problem, but for most people, everything’s fine. I’ve tried #1 and #2 with no luck, so I’ll try Digi support next. Thanks for your help though - I’ll update this thread if I get a resolution.

@ jeremym - It turns out the problem is caused by an unusual interaction between Windows 8, VMware, and AnywhereUSB. The “Code 38” problem happens if VMware software (such as VMware Player) is installed, even if it’s not currently running.

There’s no resolution yet that I’m aware of, although uninstalling VMware allows AnywhereUSB to work normally.

This issue should be fixed in the new AnywhereUSB driver v3.90 (via a workaround offered in this newer driver) which should be released soon.

More details are here, in this new KB article:

AnywhereUSB Code 38 error

*** Once this new driver is on the Digi website, I’ll post an update here. ***